Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

A B C's and the 2 year-old

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:37 PM
  • 15 Replies

My daughter is 2 and so I'm wanting to introduce her to letters. I know normally you start with upper case and then move onto lower. I've been going to the library and all the letter books I've found have both the upper and lower case and are far too busy! I'm looking for some basic books the would make the letters the focus and not have a bunch of confusing pictures and patterns. Is there anything like that out there?

Proud Breastfeeding, Non-Vaxing, Co-sleeping, Natural Birthing, Conservative, Christian, Stay-at-Home Mom of Two

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this

You can find flash cards at dollar tree i think.  But right now  dont worry about her learning letters since that is learned at 3 or 4 in preschool and worst case scenario kindergarten.   I would just read to her and use the toddler books to randomly show letters.   There as also dvds you can look at with her to introduce letters formally.   Shoot sesame street still does their letter of the day.

littlebugs2113
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:08 PM
We started with numbers first for our 2year old, and he took to that fast. Then colors, shapes, etc. He doesn't seem too interested in letters yet, so we're leaving that be for now. But yeah, like the above person said, they have flash cards at dollar tree usually, and board books.
kaylasmom22
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:10 PM
I just put starfall.com for dd and she learned it on her own.
kidlover2
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:14 PM
We just talked about colors, numbers, and letters in everything we did together. "Let's count how many birds in the picture, or let's count the buttons on your shirt" and " please go get your red shoes" and " I see the letter A can you see it? What sound does it make?" Etc. all but one of my daughters who has auditory processing problems knew all their letters and their sounds,numbers 1-20, and colors by the time they were 3.
sunpeaches1
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:07 PM
I found soft blocks of all kinds & would play w my boys while teaching them letters, shapes, colors & more. My oldest had all shapes, colors, letters & numbers down good by time he turned 3 & then we started on letter sounds... my youngest learned them well this way too but he was distracted by big bro more!
emtgirl885
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:22 PM
I have the magnetic letters that my son likes to play with. He also enjoys watching alphabet movies.
rozgood
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Our school district uses Handwriting Without Tears. You might be able to find it online. It breaks down each letter into curves or lines in its description. My son has practiced forming letters using a wet sponge on a a chalkboard or writing in shaving cream. He had good success with it.

cox3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:44 AM
Make your own. Either by hand or on computer. Easy and save money
sahmw2010
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:21 AM

my son loved Good night moon, ABC. I would have to read it over and over.

CuteLilElephant
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:38 AM

get the MEAD Preschool Workbook at walmart - they probably have it at target too, idk. It's not too expensive and it works great. Also, a small whiteboard would be good to play with and practice writing. My SDD just turned two a couple months ago and her dad was already introducing her to ABC's along with Taiwan's "alphabet" (bopomofo) last year.
I work at a bilingual school in Taiwan and teach the kids how to read several new words every two weeks. They are between 4 and 6. The baby class is 2 and 3 and I teach them to recognize 5 or 6 words every couple weeks - pictures with the words since they're still babies. They learned 10 different colors in just 2 weeks.
Their books only teach them 3 or 4 words, but I bring in flashcards to teach them extra words. First we start with pictures, all A words, then the next week or 2 weeks later all B words, etc. After they get the word and picture associated, take away the picture and write the word on a whiteboard, they learn to recognize it.
Also, teach the sounsd with the letters. "A, A, A, ah, ah, ah, A, ah, Apple!" like that, if it makes sense. 
My school uses "Max and Mousy" books for letters, I just like Mead. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN