Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Need Advice: Kindergartener Acting out at school

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:22 AM
  • 9 Replies
This is the 3rd week of school where I live. My daughter (my only school aged child) is behaving badly at school and on the bus. I've received a note from the teacher daily and from the bus driver once. At school, she is not following directions. Usually it is things like using her gluestick when she hasn't been told to get it, but there are 'more serious' offenses, like misbehaving in the lunch room, being disruptive in class, talking out of turn repeatedly, and once she threw a gluestick because someone had thrown one at her. I have tried communicating with the teacher, but have received no response, and I'm really at a loss. Since my old system wasn't working, I switched to a new punishment/reward system, I've talked to her at length about the importance of behaving both at school and on the bus. I've taken out more time with her, done more with her, grounded her for the day. And I'm just at a loss. I don't want the stigma of being a 'problem child' or a 'bad child' to follow her throughout school. I want her to enjoy going to school and, more importantly, to enjoy learning, but I think that getting in trouble every.single.day is going to make her dislike school. For what it is worth, I believe that she is doing this. (She has also been acting out at home more as well.) I don't believe that my child is a 'precious little snowflake' and I'm not blaming the teacher or bus driver in this at all. I simply want to help my daughter, and I'm asking for advice on that.
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mjande4
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:24 AM

My first question would be, how old is she?  If she is on the young side, maybe she just isn't ready.  My second question would be, how did she behave in preschool/prek? 

MetalMamaTo3
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:29 AM

She's 5. She will be 6 in February. She didn't attend pre-k.

StormiAnn
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Oh my, it totally sounds like you are describing my daughter, she gave her kindergarten teacher a run for her money last year.. We were grounding, time out, and/or spankings at home as well as a reward system. Our child is very stubborn and what finally worked is me calling her principal, asking about corporal punishment (our last resort), and telling her principal the things that had been going on. The principal called our dd to the office immediately, she looking in her "daily folder" and read the things her teacher had written aloud, she told her that those behaviors really disappoint her- she then pulled out two large wooden paddles and explained that if she ever had to spank her at school, she would spank her "hard"- that's all it took, she never had to be spanked at school and DD attitude completely changed ;)
GleeFan
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it may be because she didn't attend a preschool or pre-k and she isn't used to a lot socialization?

Does she have a classroom friend or buddy? Maybe if there was someone she was a buddy with, she would have better classroom behavior. Like a class role model.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorta sounds like normal 5 year old behavior. It could be that she just needs more time to adjust to the classroom enviroment. 

NDADanceMom
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

Sorta sounds like normal 5 year old behavior. It could be that she just needs more time to adjust to the classroom enviroment. 

Teachers try not to send notes home.  It is a way of saying they cant manage the class.  The only way this mom has a note already is if her kid is one of the worst she has ever taught.   I would make arrangements to be in my childs class to observe.

honey27
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:09 PM
My son was the same way when he was in kindergarten , maybe worse actually . He wasn't use to being in a class and having structure from someone else so he wanted to do what he wanted. I had to sit in his class to see what he was doing. He didn't do anything,go figure. The other kids acted out more than my son but to me its normal not all kids do it but majority will do something especially in kindergarten because their learning how to behave outside of what they may be use to. My son is in first grade now and he hasn't gotten in trouble yet. I think he's growing up and realizing its not worth it.
HopeAlive
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Aww, I'm sorry...I can hear how much you love your daughter and want the best for her! You sound like a great mom. :) Have you talked to the school counselor? She may have some advice for you...

MetalMamaTo3
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Yes, we had a meeting with the counselor this morning. We're hoping to develop a plan to help my daughter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN