Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

So last night, my son, who is 7 and just started 2nd grade, informed me that he no longer wants to live with us. There's no divorce or remarraige, there are no big family upheavals, he just doesn't want to live here, because, " we're mean, we yell and Daddy hurts his feelings". Yeah, he gets in trouble, he also has ADHD, gets assistance at school for behavior issues, and his dad tries to joke around with him a lot. In fact yasterday he refused to get on the bus and I had to drive him to school, so, I did yell at him for that. I figure he's trying to see just how much attention he'll garner by deciding he wants to move somewhere else. Funny, his first choice for the relocation was our friends house, then Grandma's, now its the much wealthier family down the street. (Heck, I'd like to live in their house, too, but I wouldn't want to pay their bills!!) So, has anyone else dealt with a similar situation? What did you do to get through it? Do you go along with the fantasy, acting like its no big deal, or try to reason it out? I'm sure its just a phase, but what if its not?

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Replies (11-20):
tears30314
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM
My son is ADHD also so I know what ur going through. Don't feed into it though. Evry kid goes through it. My niece who is nine, did the same. But my sis told her don't take anything but the clothes on ur back cause u bought nothing.
tears30314
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM
My son is ADHD also so I know what ur going through. Don't feed into it though. Evry kid goes through it. My niece who is nine, did the same. But my sis told her don't take anything but the clothes on ur back cause u bought nothing.
Summermum
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Quoting BoxxyBabee:

Wow id want to move away too.

Hmm, thanks for the constructive comment!

waytomanykids10
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM

yep, my 7 year old told me this about a month ago.  I looked him right in the face and said ok, lets go pack. I headed to his room, and he apparently didn't like my reaction because he started crying when I started packing his clothes up. He begged me "mommy PLEEEEASE PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE don't make me leave." He hasn't said it since.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:30 PM
it usually is attention getting. but you may want to assess whether dads jokes are harsher on him than you might realize. esp if he is more likely to take things literally bhe may have trouble ascertaining what is a joke and how to give ut back to dad instead of internalizing it negatively
beadingmom17
by Rachel on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:14 PM
My 6 year old told me she wanted to run away and live at Mema's house. I said "Fine...pack your stuff, I'll watch you walk down" (my mom just lives 3 houses away). She gave me this blank stare then said (with much flair and tears) "You don't love me, then!" I said, "No, I love you so much I can't even say, but if you want to run away, I won't stop you".

She changed her mind, lol, and we sat down and talked for a bit, then had some chocolate milk and a snack :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:50 PM

She always has something smart to say lol.

Quoting Summermum:

Quoting BoxxyBabee:

Hmm, thanks for the constructive comment!

ADHD_Annie
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Umm...WHY? Are you a perfect parent? Was your childhood like a 50s sitcom?
Most of us, at one time or another have allowed stress to get the better of us--sometimes the result is yelling. But as long as it's infrequent----it's perfectly normal, IMO. Not everyone has the capacity under anxiety to "take a breather" and calmly speak. Once in a while...ya just get upset hence our voices project! NOT the end if the world.
I'm ADHD (see screen name) and it wasn't easy for my Mom. She yelled sometimes---but I was tough to handle sometimes. She's still a great Mom! I'm 33 and really appreciate how I was raised. I do remember calling my Mom "MOTHER" instead of "Mommy" when I was mad as a kid and didnt get my way. I'm sure I said some other hateful or hurtful things.
My 5 year old has said, "you're MEAN!" when she didnt get her way...a lot of it protecting her like not allowing her to cross the street even though her friends are allowed.
I remember envying friends' homes and families. It is natural for a child.
I see nothing in this post suggesting any reason for your reply. This good Mom (and worried and stressed) is reaching-out because she IS a good Mom!!

Quoting BoxxyBabee:

sahmw2010
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:34 AM
Lmao. At that age i packed my bags and left (to a friends house) my dd who is 8 has told me she hates me and wants to move back to MI to live with grandma. Im guessing its a phase
sahmw2010
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with this. My DD doesnt understand jokes or sarcasem and takes everything at face value.

Quoting calsmom62:

it usually is attention getting. but you may want to assess whether dads jokes are harsher on him than you might realize. esp if he is more likely to take things literally bhe may have trouble ascertaining what is a joke and how to give ut back to dad instead of internalizing it negatively
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN