Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Violent Drawings normal???

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:23 PM
  • 44 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi everyone!

I am just curious to know if anyones boys, or maybe girls too I guess, draw a lot of graphically morbid pictures? My son pretty much only draws pictures of violence. Ie cutting off heads, knives, stabbing, cannons, guns, lots of blood and body parts etc. He is 6, but this has been going on for as long as I can remember.

I think this is just normal boy curiousity, but I just wanted to make sure this is normal!

We have a very stable home, he has never been the subject of/witnessed any abuse/violence etc. But he has started trying to hide these drawings from me which worries me. I have never made a big deal of them but maybe he is starting to be aware that maybe he shouldnt be drawing like that? He does get quite a temper and goes to a really dark place when he gets upset, so I guess that is kinda what worries me about this.

But like I said Im sure its curiousity/typical boy behaviour so I guess I just wanted to make sure I am not alone with this lol!

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ColieO
by I Rock on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:25 PM
My son's favorite thing to draw is monstersaand zombies. I'd say it's normal mostly. I guess it depends on more than just his drawings, but his actions as well. As long as he's not obsessed over it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my.sonshine
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:25 PM
2 moms liked this

what do you mean by going to a dark place? that doesn't sounds "normal" for a 6 year old.. as for the drawings, sounds typical of a young boy.

happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:29 PM

In my experience, no that is not normal for a 6 year old.  And if he is drawing them at school, they are probably collecting them and such to see what is going on.  

I had a six year old draw a picture of a man beating another man to death with a baseball bat because his spelling word was bat. The school counselor collected his drawing and had him evaulated.  

Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this

The "dark place" doesn't sound normal for that age. Does he have video games? Could he have seen other kids at school drawing things like that? It might be normal to a point, but why would he start to hide them? And what is the dark place? I would want to look into it.

I would seek a child psychologist who specializes in art therapy and take the drawings in for an evaluation.

ladybuglove08
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:46 PM
My son is 6 and draws family pictures (like us at the lake) or pictures of his pets, but my 7 yr old nephew draws pics like your son
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom-does-hair
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:51 PM
My son loves Star Wars and Indiana jones and draws guys fighting with light sabers and (used to) shooting guns. I told him the guns could get him in trouble at school, so he stopped that. He also draws the house, family members, our pets, etc. I wouldn't worry unless that's all he draws and talk to him about this stuff at school could get him in trouble or evaluated.
chaslee
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:52 PM

No, that does not sound normal.  All I could think when reading this was the song "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam.. chills.

Edited to correct spelling.

Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:55 PM
No that is not normal.
What does he see on tv? What do others watch with him when he is in their care? Video games? It doesn't come out of no where.
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I really don't think it is normal.  My brothers drew planes and trucks when they were kids.  

alf2651
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Personally, I don't think it sounds normal. 

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)