Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Hi everyone!

I am just curious to know if anyones boys, or maybe girls too I guess, draw a lot of graphically morbid pictures? My son pretty much only draws pictures of violence. Ie cutting off heads, knives, stabbing, cannons, guns, lots of blood and body parts etc. He is 6, but this has been going on for as long as I can remember.

I think this is just normal boy curiousity, but I just wanted to make sure this is normal!

We have a very stable home, he has never been the subject of/witnessed any abuse/violence etc. But he has started trying to hide these drawings from me which worries me. I have never made a big deal of them but maybe he is starting to be aware that maybe he shouldnt be drawing like that? He does get quite a temper and goes to a really dark place when he gets upset, so I guess that is kinda what worries me about this.

But like I said Im sure its curiousity/typical boy behaviour so I guess I just wanted to make sure I am not alone with this lol!

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
susannah2000
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:37 AM

You say it has been going on for a long time. How long? Years?  Also, what is this "dark place?" What kind of temper does he have? is he violent? What has he been exposed to on tv, etc? It does sound to me like a preoccupation with violence, especially if it has been going on for years. I would not say that it's "normal" that a toddler or preschool age kid should be drawing repeated pictures of bloody, violent death. I do not think it is "normal," and I would consider speaking to his school's guidance counselor and having him evaluated for any kind of emotional disorder. It is better to ask and be told, yes it is normal, than to do nothing and find out the hard way that it's not. It seems to be true that kids can be born with emotional deficits, and can start exhibiting antisocial behavior very early.

pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Not normal. What are you exposing him to??
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:25 AM

the only thing I woulkd ask is what kind of movies is he allowed to watch....I mean kids imaginations tend to favor violent things to a degree... but what they watch can feed into it.

Imjustinsmommy
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:27 AM

normal? that depends if  he is exposed to seeing tv, movies or games or anything liek this then  he is just  getting it from that &  its not a good thing but its not coming from withIN him ya know? but if you know he isnt exposed to anything like this in person or on tv, moviesl, games,  stories,  anything then id be worried. did he start hiding it when you started being concerned? bc he might be picking up on your concern. my ds1 is 5 and well he cnat even draw well he has fine motor skill issues but his stories & preted play & dreams seemt o all come from what he sees which is cars, toy story.. stuff like that.. so id assume your son is doing the same?

Momofmenagerie
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:51 AM
If a child has not been subjected to violence in shows or M rated video games..., adding blood I would not consider normal. Fight scenes, Pokemon fights ( where they " faint") character's they like, absolutely.... But adding blood? I wouldn't find that "normal" drawings.

Yeah of course I could be wrong, but still... If he truly happen be subjected to gore or violence, wouldn't hurt. I mean, he's beginning to hide them for a reason.... Wouldn't you feel better with a definitive reason why?
Momofmenagerie
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:56 AM
School guidance counselor will tell you to take him to a professional , they will tell you that they only deal with acedemic issues.

Besides, do you want the school involved in this? No tolerance would cover this and they may oust him. Not what you want.

Quoting susannah2000:

You say it has been going on for a long time. How long? Years?  Also, what is this "dark place?" What kind of temper does he have? is he violent? What has he been exposed to on tv, etc? It does sound to me like a preoccupation with violence, especially if it has been going on for years. I would not say that it's "normal" that a toddler or preschool age kid should be drawing repeated pictures of bloody, violent death. I do not think it is "normal," and I would consider speaking to his school's guidance counselor and having him evaluated for any kind of emotional disorder. It is better to ask and be told, yes it is normal, than to do nothing and find out the hard way that it's not. It seems to be true that kids can be born with emotional deficits, and can start exhibiting antisocial behavior very early.

susannah2000
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

School guidance counselor will tell you to take him to a professional , they will tell you that they only deal with acedemic issues.

Besides, do you want the school involved in this? No tolerance would cover this and they may oust him. Not what you want.

Quoting susannah2000:

Do guidance counselors only deal with academic issues? i thought they dealt with a range of problems, including behavioral issues. Also, it may be different between different counselors. I wouldn't think  that they would all be the same.  I suggested them first only because it would be free. OP didn't say he was making the drawings in school, so I don't know if they could kick him out per zero tolerance, but I think seeing a children's counselor might be the best way to go, if the gudiance counselor can't be the first step.

Momofmenagerie
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:27 AM
In my experience, it was just academics... ADHD, divorce, .. And he's caught drawing these at school
,absolutely it falls under zero tolerance.

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

Quoting susannah2000:

Do guidance counselors only deal with academic issues? i thought they dealt with a range of problems, including behavioral issues. Also, it may be different between different counselors. I wouldn't think  that they would all be the same.  I suggested them first only because it would be free. OP didn't say he was making the drawings in school, so I don't know if they could kick him out per zero tolerance, but I think seeing a children's counselor might be the best way to go, if the gudiance counselor can't be the first step.

Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:31 AM
My son is 5.5 and he draws dinosaurs and transformers mostly. I would be concerned, and my son is not in a household where we shelter him from the world, per say. I mean he has seen some movies that may be considered violent, like pacific rim and star wars. And he has never drawn pics of that kind of stuff.

I would discuss why he draws these pics with him and see what he says.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jeniemarie
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:36 AM
we didnt think anything of it when SS was young about 5 or so because he mom let him watch all kinds if shows. however he started to get really withdrawn, hurting himself, drawning himself as the dead guy and even talking about wanting to die. finally we were able to get him into counseling and that has really helped.
so is it normal i dont think so, exspecially if showing signs of darker moods or if thats all he draws, but my experiance is limited to SS so idk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN