Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Hi everyone!

I am just curious to know if anyones boys, or maybe girls too I guess, draw a lot of graphically morbid pictures? My son pretty much only draws pictures of violence. Ie cutting off heads, knives, stabbing, cannons, guns, lots of blood and body parts etc. He is 6, but this has been going on for as long as I can remember.

I think this is just normal boy curiousity, but I just wanted to make sure this is normal!

We have a very stable home, he has never been the subject of/witnessed any abuse/violence etc. But he has started trying to hide these drawings from me which worries me. I have never made a big deal of them but maybe he is starting to be aware that maybe he shouldnt be drawing like that? He does get quite a temper and goes to a really dark place when he gets upset, so I guess that is kinda what worries me about this.

But like I said Im sure its curiousity/typical boy behaviour so I guess I just wanted to make sure I am not alone with this lol!

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Replies (21-30):
susannah2000
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

In my experience, it was just academics... ADHD, divorce, .. And he's caught drawing these at school
,absolutely it falls under zero tolerance.

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

School guidance counselor will tell you to take him to a professional , they will tell you that they only deal with acedemic issues.

Besides, do you want the school involved in this? No tolerance would cover this and they may oust him. Not what you want.

Quoting susannah2000:

You say it has been going on for a long time. How long? Years?  Also, what is this "dark place?" What kind of temper does he have? is he violent? What has he been exposed to on tv, etc? It does sound to me like a preoccupation with violence, especially if it has been going on for years. I would not say that it's "normal" that a toddler or preschool age kid should be drawing repeated pictures of bloody, violent death. I do not think it is "normal," and I would consider speaking to his school's guidance counselor and having him evaluated for any kind of emotional disorder. It is better to ask and be told, yes it is normal, than to do nothing and find out the hard way that it's not. It seems to be true that kids can be born with emotional deficits, and can start exhibiting antisocial behavior very early.

Do guidance counselors only deal with academic issues? i thought they dealt with a range of problems, including behavioral issues. Also, it may be different between different counselors. I wouldn't think  that they would all be the same.  I suggested them first only because it would be free. OP didn't say he was making the drawings in school, so I don't know if they could kick him out per zero tolerance, but I think seeing a children's counselor might be the best way to go, if the gudiance counselor can't be the first step.

I checked the OP again and it does not say that the boy was drawing these at school.  I would call the guidance counselor and ask if they deal with behavior issues. Not to argue, but divorce is not an academic issue. I don't know if they could help or not, but I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand without even checking to see what issues they do deal with.

Momofmenagerie
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Agreed, divorce or abuse is not an acedemic issue, but those issues likely lower grades in students that normally have a higher grade. That's what I meant.

OP is welcome to ask the school guidance counselor , my own experience with three different guidance counselors.... They have only dealt with issues that effect a child's GPA or issues with a teacher. That's all.
They aren't evil by any means .... But in grade school, I was repeatedly told " I'm not trained to provide for that/ those issues."
That's all I meant.

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

In my experience, it was just academics... ADHD, divorce, .. And he's caught drawing these at school

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

School guidance counselor will tell you to take him to a professional , they will tell you that they only deal with acedemic issues.

Besides, do you want the school involved in this? No tolerance would cover this and they may oust him. Not what you want.

Quoting susannah2000:

You say it has been going on for a long time. How long? Years?  Also, what is this "dark place?" What kind of temper does he have? is he violent? What has he been exposed to on tv, etc? It does sound to me like a preoccupation with violence, especially if it has been going on for years. I would not say that it's "normal" that a toddler or preschool age kid should be drawing repeated pictures of bloody, violent death. I do not think it is "normal," and I would consider speaking to his school's guidance counselor and having him evaluated for any kind of emotional disorder. It is better to ask and be told, yes it is normal, than to do nothing and find out the hard way that it's not. It seems to be true that kids can be born with emotional deficits, and can start exhibiting antisocial behavior very early.

Do guidance counselors only deal with academic issues? i thought they dealt with a range of problems, including behavioral issues. Also, it may be different between different counselors. I wouldn't think  that they would all be the same.  I suggested them first only because it would be free. OP didn't say he was making the drawings in school, so I don't know if they could kick him out per zero tolerance, but I think seeing a children's counselor might be the best way to go, if the gudiance counselor can't be the first step.

I checked the OP again and it does not say that the boy was drawing these at school.  I would call the guidance counselor and ask if they deal with behavior issues. Not to argue, but divorce is not an academic issue. I don't know if they could help or not, but I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand without even checking to see what issues they do deal with.

susannah2000
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

Agreed, divorce or abuse is not an acedemic issue, but those issues likely lower grades in students that normally have a higher grade. That's what I meant.

OP is welcome to ask the school guidance counselor , my own experience with three different guidance counselors.... They have only dealt with issues that effect a child's GPA or issues with a teacher. That's all.
They aren't evil by any means .... But in grade school, I was repeatedly told " I'm not trained to provide for that/ those issues."
That's all I meant.

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

Quoting susannah2000:

If the guidance counselor doesn't deal, maybe the pediatrician could recommend a therapist.

sazza1330
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Hi everyone, Thanks for the feedback. So I spoke to his teacher today and she said she is not at all concerned . She said he is a sweet, happy, kind boy and that the drawings are not an indication of anything. She said she would be concerned if he was displaying any antisocial behaviour or violence but he is great with the other kids. So thats reassuring!

BrettsMommy927
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:07 AM

teacher

My son has recently started doing the same thing. Try talking to him about his feelings.....i know how cliche that sounds, but it really helps my son, when i ask him "How did you feel when you were drawing this?" He is 6 also, and has the same temperment pattern as your little guys.

always open to chat. we can toss around ideas  to help eachother!

crescentwolf
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:14 AM
That doesn't sound normal to me. If he's drawing them at school chances are that they are collecting these pictures. Take him to get evaluated.
mustbeGRACE
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:20 AM

I would have him evaluated by a pediatric psychiatrist to be on the safe side.

NDADanceMom
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:40 AM

My kids at 6 didnt see those things so it wasnt on their mind.  You must have something around that is sticking.  Movies? Games? I would be concerned if it was me.  I have a boy and 2 girls, none have ever drawn violent pictures,

ADHD_Annie
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:56 AM
I could see kids experimenting with different types of drawings, but what concerns me is WHERE did these images in his mind come from? Knowing you have a stable home, has he witnessed any movies or tv he shouldn't have...even peeking behind you when you think he's asleep? Is there a family member or family friend who's exposed him to anything violent or made him uncomfortable? Is there any family history of psychological problems whether diagnosed or even suspected?
I would probably talk to a child psychiatrist just to be on the safe side. Maybe something is frustrating him he isn't able to communicate so he expresses his anger in his art. I wouldn't think the worst, it could be something minor or you may be glad you got an evaluation with an early diagnosis in life. I think how you handle this now could potentially affect his future. Not to add stress or pressure, but it's better to know what he's feeling and thinking and how to learn to handle his emotions. Has he ever been violent or too rough with a pet?
I think it is a matter of concern, but I suggest taking this into your own hands with a physician before the school intervenes too much and you're held accountable. Idk about where you are, but the schools around me make some kids "problem children" and you're in an endless cycle of issues with the schools and your son needing to be dismissed. Get a doctor's opinion and in the meantime, I'd tell the school you're addressing this. It could be a simple overwhelming feeling he's having--but either way it wouldn't hurt to get to the bottom of it. Hiding these drawings and going to a dark place is something to look into.
Make an appointment and until then, have you tried talking to him? My 5 y/o daughter usually doesn't want to express herself by talking to me---but sometimes she will if I invent characters with puppets or stuffed animals and talk "through" them.
Hang in there, Mom. Trust your gut. You feel something isn't right by asking here---that's your intuition telling you to get to the bottom of it.
ADHD_Annie
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:01 AM
I wouldn't make such an accusation---perhaps it goes deeper than some sort of "exposure". This Mom is obviously concerned---let's not make assumptions when she wants to help her son.

Quoting pinkiebabii:

Not normal. What are you exposing him to??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)