Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Hi everyone!

I am just curious to know if anyones boys, or maybe girls too I guess, draw a lot of graphically morbid pictures? My son pretty much only draws pictures of violence. Ie cutting off heads, knives, stabbing, cannons, guns, lots of blood and body parts etc. He is 6, but this has been going on for as long as I can remember.

I think this is just normal boy curiousity, but I just wanted to make sure this is normal!

We have a very stable home, he has never been the subject of/witnessed any abuse/violence etc. But he has started trying to hide these drawings from me which worries me. I have never made a big deal of them but maybe he is starting to be aware that maybe he shouldnt be drawing like that? He does get quite a temper and goes to a really dark place when he gets upset, so I guess that is kinda what worries me about this.

But like I said Im sure its curiousity/typical boy behaviour so I guess I just wanted to make sure I am not alone with this lol!

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Replies (31-40):
ADHD_Annie
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Not to sound like "Debbie Downer" or to think the worst, but many people (idk about children) with sociopathy are quite charming, well-liked and live seemingly normal lives---until they're in private. A teacher isn't a psychologist, so I would still get a professional opinion before accepting what teacher says as the final answer. This is your son and he's just 6 years into the rest of his life. Don't sit back and regret not having done anything. Like I said in my other reply, if your gut has you concerned--ADDRESS IT. It's your responsibility. You may find it is normal, but you won't know unless you've heard it from someone who has a degree and is an expert in child psychology. My Dr works mainly with children and he has a toy room. While waiting for my appointment one day, I saw Ken and Barbie dolls naked and their entire bodies tied together back-to-back. I couldn't help but wonder where that child came up with that and the adult he will become. At least he was seeing a professional, though.

Quoting sazza1330:

Hi everyone, Thanks for the feedback. So I spoke to his teacher today and she said she is not at all concerned . She said he is a sweet, happy, kind boy and that the drawings are not an indication of anything. She said she would be concerned if he was displaying any antisocial behaviour or violence but he is great with the other kids. So thats reassuring!

la_bella_vita
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:41 AM

No, I don't think that sounds normal.

mkhc-531
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Does he watch scary/graphic movies and/or video games? Maybe collect a handful of drawings and take them to the dr. See what doc has to say. ask if it's normal or if you should get him some kind of help and try to figure out what's going on. why he draws morbid pictures and goes to a dark place. I worked at a childcare facility for 3 yrs and never saw morbid drawings like that. I hope everything works out for your family.
sazza1330
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I am not super worried about this, I just wondered what other little kids ddrew, whether it was the same.
He has lots of movies and tv shows. None that a like R rated gore of course but he has the likes of superhero movies (ie avengers, ironman etc) and he plays some video games like skylanders and minecraft (which his teacher says may be the cause as it is kind of violent).
In terms of his mood if he is grumpy he kind of gets depressed, and I am going to talk to someone about his feelings. I am 100% certain he is not a sociopath. I am sure he is just expressing what he has seen on tv and in games.

CorpCityGrl
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:37 PM

That depends.  At that age, there can be hints of violence in their drawings but everything you are describing as a whole doesn't sound typical. 

I'll tell you, DH drew violent pictures like that at that age and beyond too.  Everyone ignored it and on the outside, everything seemed okay so his mother, who was a grade school teacher ignored it.  As an adult, DH resents his mother because his drawings were a cry for help and he admits that now.  Some may say I'm overreacting, but I think that it wouldn't hurt to look into it and talk to him and even talk to his school to see if the same drawings are showing up there and of his behavior.  Sometimes kids will keep up pretenses of being okay for our own sake,

KenneMaw
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Maybe the drawings are just a way he is expressing his frustrations?   Everyone knows about the Terrible Twos, but kids go through so many stages where they are starting to feel like big kids, but still like being a baby.   Plus, ifyou add in school and other stressors, kids do get overwhelmed.   I would just keep an eye on him, try getting him to explain the drawings - show support and curiousity to engage him.    My DH draws very dark things, always has.   When he is in a dark place, I think drawing helps him even though he is almost 50... it is still a positive outlet to get the negative feelings out.

strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:56 PM

not normal, this is how psychologists know there are issues with kids is by their art work. it shows what is  going on deep inside them.

imandia4
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:57 PM
My SO used to draw a bloody Dino scene.
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:21 PM
i agree that its likely being an issue at school because of the zero tolerance policies or other kids are telling him its wrong. ( other boys are probably telling him its cool ) but girls are probably ratting him out every time.

Quoting happymommy1105:

In my experience, no that is not normal for a 6 year old.  And if he is drawing them at school, they are probably collecting them and such to see what is going on.  

I had a six year old draw a picture of a man beating another man to death with a baseball bat because his spelling word was bat. The school counselor collected his drawing and had him evaulated.  

adi29
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:11 AM
That is not normal behavior. Get him checked out.
A dark place? That's not normal.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)