Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Hi everyone!

I am just curious to know if anyones boys, or maybe girls too I guess, draw a lot of graphically morbid pictures? My son pretty much only draws pictures of violence. Ie cutting off heads, knives, stabbing, cannons, guns, lots of blood and body parts etc. He is 6, but this has been going on for as long as I can remember.

I think this is just normal boy curiousity, but I just wanted to make sure this is normal!

We have a very stable home, he has never been the subject of/witnessed any abuse/violence etc. But he has started trying to hide these drawings from me which worries me. I have never made a big deal of them but maybe he is starting to be aware that maybe he shouldnt be drawing like that? He does get quite a temper and goes to a really dark place when he gets upset, so I guess that is kinda what worries me about this.

But like I said Im sure its curiousity/typical boy behaviour so I guess I just wanted to make sure I am not alone with this lol!

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Replies (41-44):
boys2men2soon
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Does he watch graphic tv shows/movies/video games?   

jconney80
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Sounds like it could be autism. Boys on the spectrum have mood swings and outbursts. They get obssessed with violence and shooting. I'd have him see a developmental pediatrician. Good luck

Pnukey
by Jennifer on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM

That does not sound normal.

sazza1330
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 2:49 PM

He does watch movies with some violence for sure. He has seen all the superhero movies (ie. Avengers, Iron Man etc) and he watches stuff like Power Rangers etc. He does also play a game called MineCraft, which his teacher says is quite violent also.
When I say 'dark place' he has said that he wants to die and he hates everything (which is awful, and I have no idea where this came from!) but he just generally needs some alone time to calm down and is a bit gurmpy but then he is happy again.
I am going to get him checked out anyway. Mostly just coz I hate when he says that. It started when we moved here from Australia when he was almost 4. Big changes for a little guy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)