Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I am so tired of the word...

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:35 PM
  • 18 Replies
"Why?" My 3 year old says this to everything. I can say I am going to cook, poop, sleep, ANYTHING! How do I stop this before I go insane
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Tell me about it. I run a daycare! Lol.Its how they learn! Distraction saves you though! Use it when you can't handle one more "why"
Tipsen
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM
I tired that and he asked why we were doing this? Ugh

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

Tell me about it. I run a daycare! Lol.Its how they learn! Distraction saves you though! Use it when you can't handle one more "why"

kidlover2
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:41 PM
I always respond with "why not?" If I know it is just a repetitive word that keeps flowing from their mouth. They are usually stumped with a question :)
Kmary
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:41 PM
2 moms liked this

With my kids, usually a "why do YOU think..."  worked to stop the why cycle.

emmy526
by Emmy on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this

at that age, he is learning how to communicate thru give and take in language, and learn about his world and how he fits in, and how he relates to everything in it...the 'whys' come in, because he is learning that particular word, can keep a conversation going, which he is now learning and using with you, his comfort source..--you don't want to stifle curiousity, but you do need a break from it, that's for sure!   One thing i did that worked with my daycare kids and my own kids, was to tell them my ears are tired, and need a rest...then i'd set the timer, get some quiet activites for them to do for 20mins...try that for a week or so, and see if it helps...it will also help to tell the child, the conversation is over for now, but you'll talk about it later. 

xtwistedxlovex
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:56 PM
3 moms liked this
Why = I want to know more. Remember, everything is new and strange to young kids AND they often lack the verbal skills to articulate what they really want to know. You can prevent a why chain by offering more information before they have to ask for it.
emtgirl885
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Lol! My 3 year old son is the same way.
MockingJay
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Just respond "I don't know, why do you think?" 

susannah2000
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:05 PM

You know you don't have to continue to engage in the "why's" 24/7. You are allowed to disengage, withdraw, redirect, whatever. I think asking why is sometimes how they learn and other times it is just  a way to keep you engaged, and they aren't really interested in the answer. .You can ask back, "why do you think," and make it a learning experience for both of you. But when they are driving you bats, you can tell him/her to stop!

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:31 AM

it is part of being three... next comes "how" hang in there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN