Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

7yo w irritation around mouth...allergies?

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:52 AM
  • 9 Replies
Have 2 boys, 7 & 5, neither have any known allergies. However yesterday morn I noticed some irritation under my 7yo's bottom lip. The only thing I can think of is we tried this new fast food restaurant, Culver's, & they serve frozen custard desserts. Not ice cream, custard.... So the boys had a scoop covered in m&ms (their fav candies, notthing new there) when they finished their meals. So the frozen custard is the only thing *new* that he ate or was around his mouth. Is this a food allergy? & what in the custard could cause it? He eats eggs, milk, ice cream (cream) w/o probs all the time. What is there in custard that could cause allergies orn irritation?
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
krista778
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 3:38 PM
I don't know about custard, but my DD occasionally gets irritation on her chin just under her lip from licking it/sucking on her lip. Have to keep reminding her not to. Maybe your son has been doing that? A lot of kids do
Mittenmommie
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Is it just one spot or a few spots? Have you checked his hands and feet?
goldilocksbecky
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Keep in mind that it doesn't have to be a "new" food.  They can develope an allergy to something that they've eaten 5000 times before.

sunpeaches1
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Ds does not suck or bite lips, nothing on hands, fingers or any other part of body. The irritation is on both sides under his bottom lip, not in the middle space. Hmmm... didn't really think of the developing allergy factor....
Its clearing fast, I'm thinking of taking him for more of the suspect dessert after it clears up... that way i can know if its definitely the culprit or I need to keep eyes peeled for another perpetrator. .. anyone think this is a good or bad plan?
Bmat
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Both sides under his bottom lip- this sounds like drool when he is sleeping, could his nose be stuffy at night? If the area stays wet he may get a rash from the wetness.

sunpeaches1
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Yes! That's the spot! Drool catch spots under lip! Drool could be the culprit....I dunno. You think the custard test is a good idea?

Quoting Bmat:

Both sides under his bottom lip- this sounds like drool when he is sleeping, could his nose be stuffy at night? If the area stays wet he may get a rash from the wetness.

smalltowngal
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:44 PM

My DD gets it from tomato sauces but only if they sit on her face. She's fine as long as it is cleaned off right away with a wash cloth. Did the custard sit on his face at all and did he just use a napkin to wipe it off? 

sunpeaches1
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:52 PM
I didn't really notice how long it stayed on before he wiped because he's really good about keeping his face wiped. But it is just like ice cream so it get around. But he did only wipe w dry napkin till we got home & he took a shower...

Quoting smalltowngal:

My DD gets it from tomato sauces but only if they sit on her face. She's fine as long as it is cleaned off right away with a wash cloth. Did the custard sit on his face at all and did he just use a napkin to wipe it off? 

smalltowngal
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I always keep wet wipes in my purse so I can wipe off my 7 year olds face if she has any tomato products. The doctor told us not to worry about it and just make sure you wipe her face really well afterwards. She's probably like her Nana and will have to avoid eating mass amounts of raw tomatoes. Not sure if it's the same issue as your DS but just something for you to watch.  

Quoting sunpeaches1:

I didn't really notice how long it stayed on before he wiped because he's really good about keeping his face wiped. But it is just like ice cream so it get around. But he did only wipe w dry napkin till we got home & he took a shower...

Quoting smalltowngal:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)