Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

This is one of the weirdest arguments I have seen yet

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:31 PM
  • 65 Replies
3 moms liked this

I haven't made a post in a little while but lately I have been seeing the strangest argument all over many different forums ( mostly related to the teen moms lol)

Any way people are arguing that a pregnancy is only 9 months not 10. I thought everyone knew that your due date is at the end of your 9th month making it the top of your 10th, therefore is considered 10 months. They have been arguing that 40 weeks does not equal 10 months because many months do not have exactly four weeks. That is precisely why the doctors go by weeks and not months but if you ask an OB/GYN how long an average pregnancy is in months I guarantee they will say technically 10.

Such a silly argument lol.

ETA-I guess I should clarify that no where in my post does it say that a pregnancy is 10 CALENDAR months. Apparently they are called LUNAR months which is every 4 weeks. In this sense both arguments are correct but I still stand by the fact that this argument is completely rediculous and that was the entire point of the post not to start the debate all over again lol.

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sister_Someone
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:33 PM
2 moms liked this

You mean, that isn't common knowledge?

Then again, I once taught a class of kids who had no idea that humans were mammals, so I guess this shouldn't be as surprising.

mamacam7
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Lol wow, now that is sad...unless of course they were infants or something.

Quoting Sister_Someone:

Then again, I once taught a class of kids who had no idea that humans were mammals, so I guess this shouldn't be as surprising.

Sister_Someone
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:40 PM

You wish... Freaking teenagers! Homeschooled Catholic teenagers whose moms taught them that god put humans upon the Earth and that will of god is how women get pregnant, so obviously they didn't have enough science credits for university, so my college set up a class for those kids that was taught by Master's program students and I took one on because I needed the money.

Quoting mamacam7:

Quoting Sister_Someone:

mamacam7
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:44 PM

THose poor kids were way too sheltered. And some of the people arguing that it is only 9 months were mothers!

Quoting Sister_Someone:

You wish... Freaking teenagers! Homeschooled Catholic teenagers whose moms taught them that god put humans upon the Earth and that will of god is how women get pregnant, so obviously they didn't have enough science credits for university, so my college set up a class for those kids that was taught by Master's program students and I took one on because I needed the money.

Quoting mamacam7:

Quoting Sister_Someone:

mamacam7
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:53 PM

BUMP!

mamacam7
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:01 PM

BUMP!

xtwistedxlovex
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:12 PM
2 moms liked this
By your logic, a person who is 1 week would be considered 1 month because they've begun their first month. I count full months, not the one you've just started.
mamacam7
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:14 PM
3 moms liked this

It's not my logic, It's OB/GYN logic.

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

By your logic, a person who is 1 week would be considered 1 month because they've begun their first month. I count full months, not the one you've just started.

mamacam7
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this

BUMP!

xtwistedxlovex
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:28 PM
3 moms liked this
Well, I disagree with their logic then. It just doesn't mesh with how time works otherwise - or 0 would equal 1, I would have eaten a whole pizza just by having a slice, and so on. I don't think it's silly to measure the duration of pregnancy by the same standard all other time is measured against. What IS silly is arguing about it when the baby's going to come out when it wants regardless of whether you call it 9 months or 10.

Quoting mamacam7:

It's not my logic, It's OB/GYN logic.

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN