Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I'm a mom of a medically complex kiddo ask me anything

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 8:31 PM
  • 34 Replies

This is Austin Carl (or Austin's Odyssey) and he is 2.5 years old. He was born on Halloween of 2010 6 days late. I had wanted a regular birth and my placenta stopped working properly a few days before he was born, detached, and the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck. When he was born he was born blue. He was transferred out of my hospital St. Annes' and transferred to Nationwide Children's after a day and a half because he had his first seizures. He was diagnoised with Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopthy (brain damage) and was one of the worse cases of brain damage they have seen.

In the years to come we were diagnosed with Spastic Quadriplegic Cerebral Palsy, Epilepsy including rate seizures that constantly plague our lives Infantile Spasms that make him regress. CVI (cortical visual impairment), Laryngomalacia, tracheamalacia, failure to thrive, g/j tube, GERD, Torticollis, vision abnormalities, dysphagia, deformation plagiocephaly, sialorrhea, developmental delay, elevated blood pressure, had 2 bowel obstructions (this year), aspiration pneumonia, small air way disease, hypertonia, stridor. He has had 5 surgeries this year including his tracheostomy which allows him to breath better by himself.

He has to be on a pulse ox 24/7 to keep his stats, has a suction machine that we have to do every half an hour at the very least, a vest machine that helps break his secretions up, a feeding pump to feed him, oxygen in the home, bipap machine, a wheel chair (as of Sept 16th when he gets it), and a cool mist machine

ASK ME ANYTHING!

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Imjustinsmommy
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 8:37 PM
2 moms liked this

I have no questions.. i just wanna say im sorry for all the challeneges you & your  son had to go through & i pray for  your family.  also, thank you for reminding me of my blessings.

special.mama
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 8:48 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh I figure God has a plan for us and I am so blessed to have my wonderful husband. He's an amazing person and has taught me soooo much.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:56 PM
well said

Quoting Imjustinsmommy:

I have no questions.. i just wanna say im sorry for all the challeneges you & your  son had to go through & i pray for  your family.  also, thank you for reminding me of my blessings.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
11 minutes ago
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Hugs to you all :)

Quoting Imjustinsmommy:

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:52 PM

I don't have any questions either but, from one malacia mom to another, (((((((hugs))))))). 

AtillaTheHun
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:56 PM
No questions. You have an amazing little man there. No doubt he will be a ladies man with this adorable smile. :-)
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:06 AM

he is a cutie... you can see the brightness in his eyes...

Imjustinsmommy
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:15 AM

you are blessed with you dh & even your son of course.. im sure you are finding  a lot of  strength through this. i wish you had it easier though.. thanks for sharing your story. bless you & your sweet boy. i love the 2cd pic.. he looks like he is smiling?

Quoting special.mama:

Oh I figure God has a plan for us and I am so blessed to have my wonderful husband. He's an amazing person and has taught me soooo much.

Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Hugs to you. I have one question why did they let you 6 days past your due date? 

romanceparty4u
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Do you have in home nursing care?  If not, why?

I'd think the trach would be the determining factor (if  you live in the US)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)