Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I was forced to choose a race for my daughter

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:53 AM
  • 157 Replies
1 mom liked this

My two year old is having some major behavior problems so I decided to get her evaluated. My girls are biracial 1/2 black 1/2 white. When I made the phone call they asked me some questions and of course one of them had to be about her race. I told the lady she was black/white and she said that can't be her race...I have to choose one. I said why do I need to choose when she is both? She said in order for her to help me or to move forward I have to choose one due to regulations. So I chose black because she could pass for that more than white. This just doesn't seem right to me. So now it will be in the records that she has issues and she is black. I just don't understand why I had to choose one. There are so many people who are multi-racial. How are you able to choose? Why are we so hung up on race all the time? I don't think it should matter.

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WithOutLightIAm
by New Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM
15 moms liked this

Why did her race even matter ? I would have told the lady to do any mini mighty moe, catch a dumbass by the toe.

tsk tsk

Pooobaihr
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:57 AM

AH .. THAT SUCKS.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:57 AM
3 moms liked this

Most forms have a box for biracial - black/white.  I would have gone with whatever race you are since you carried them in your womb.

chickensmommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:58 AM
2 moms liked this
I would have not checked anything. We use enough labels for people as it is.
catrig
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this
That would have pissed me off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
awakemommy
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, that is true and that is why I didn't understand why she said I couldn't choose. It just seemed very odd to me. I did choose black.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Most forms have a box for biracial - black/white.  I would have gone with whatever race you are since you carried them in your womb.

Earn an additional $600 a month, to pay car note, rent, bills and more! This will help make life easier. Go to http://www.yestomoney.info/ for more information. Listen to how this is changing people's lives. (641)715-3800 code 64212# option 2.  Feel free to call me at 484-891-1065.

awakemommy
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Sometomes I don't check anything because I don't see it should matter. But I was on the phone with her and she made it seem like I didn't have a choice. Very true about people being labled...I agree.

Quoting chickensmommy:

I would have not checked anything. We use enough labels for people as it is.

sunpeaches1
by Nikki on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:09 PM
4 moms liked this
My boys are the whitest kids in the world! Its even their last name! (My big joke about my White boys is they're so white its in their name ;) )
But just cuz I'm sick of all these racial labels for reason of the multi mix races on random forms I check multiple boxes if they insist on that info... most often I leave it blank. What does anyone's race have anything to do w anything other than checking for medical conditions with high prevalence in certain races?
hds_02
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I definitely agree.

Quoting sunpeaches1:

What does anyone's race have anything to do w anything other than checking for medical conditions with high prevalence in certain races?

awakemommy
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:15 PM
19 moms liked this

These are my girls btw. They can pass for many races

Earn an additional $600 a month, to pay car note, rent, bills and more! This will help make life easier. Go to http://www.yestomoney.info/ for more information. Listen to how this is changing people's lives. (641)715-3800 code 64212# option 2.  Feel free to call me at 484-891-1065.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)