Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I was forced to choose a race for my daughter

Posted by   + Show Post

My two year old is having some major behavior problems so I decided to get her evaluated. My girls are biracial 1/2 black 1/2 white. When I made the phone call they asked me some questions and of course one of them had to be about her race. I told the lady she was black/white and she said that can't be her race...I have to choose one. I said why do I need to choose when she is both? She said in order for her to help me or to move forward I have to choose one due to regulations. So I chose black because she could pass for that more than white. This just doesn't seem right to me. So now it will be in the records that she has issues and she is black. I just don't understand why I had to choose one. There are so many people who are multi-racial. How are you able to choose? Why are we so hung up on race all the time? I don't think it should matter.

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Replies (11-20):
sunpeaches1
by Nikki on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM
2 moms liked this
Beautiful girls!
Bajanmama
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I would've put the phone down. What does race have to do with it?

CorpCityGrl
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Your girls are beautiful!

DD is multi-racial (Asian and Irish, but looks completely white) and we often don't check any box or if we have to, we check multiple boxes.  Even at the hospital, when she was admitted when she was 9 months old the nurse actually checked "other" because she didn't think it was necessary. 

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:34 PM
4 moms liked this

It is for statistics statewide, nationwide as well as possible screenings for medical conditions that occur in some races/cultures more than others.

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:49 PM

While in a perfect world, race would not matter, but for medical reasons.......it does. Since you called someone in the medical field for treatment (it does not matter what kind of treatment either) The team/dr needs to know sonce some issues can arise due to race/genes. I can bet tho, she put in a margin somewhere taht your daughter was both, she was just being difficult!

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:49 PM

pinch, poke......you owe me a coke!

Quoting frndlyfn:

It is for statistics statewide, nationwide as well as possible screenings for medical conditions that occur in some races/cultures more than others.

lenashark
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I have always seen a biracial option on forms, so thats strange.

AmiJanell
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Beyond the fact that it's a pointless questions like you said... what difference does her race make...  I imagine the reason you HAD to pick one is that she was likely using a computer program that required it to move on... she probably had to pick 1 choice and multiracial probably wasn't an option. 

awakemommy
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:54 PM
3 moms liked this

I understand now, but wouldn't you think it would be important for them to know she is both then?

Quoting momdoes:

While in a perfect world, race would not matter, but for medical reasons.......it does. Since you called someone in the medical field for treatment (it does not matter what kind of treatment either) The team/dr needs to know sonce some issues can arise due to race/genes. I can bet tho, she put in a margin somewhere taht your daughter was both, she was just being difficult!

-spork2.0-
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:55 PM
There is almost always an "other" or "prefer not to answer" option.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)