Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I was forced to choose a race for my daughter

Posted by   + Show Post

My two year old is having some major behavior problems so I decided to get her evaluated. My girls are biracial 1/2 black 1/2 white. When I made the phone call they asked me some questions and of course one of them had to be about her race. I told the lady she was black/white and she said that can't be her race...I have to choose one. I said why do I need to choose when she is both? She said in order for her to help me or to move forward I have to choose one due to regulations. So I chose black because she could pass for that more than white. This just doesn't seem right to me. So now it will be in the records that she has issues and she is black. I just don't understand why I had to choose one. There are so many people who are multi-racial. How are you able to choose? Why are we so hung up on race all the time? I don't think it should matter.

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Replies (151-157):
Billrae
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I would have asked to speak to her supervisor.

HIJKLM
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:36 PM
I've never had to fill anything out that didn't have a "decline to answer" option that's weird.
awakemommy
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I should have. Sometmes I just don't think about things until after the fact. When the lady comes to screen her, I will mention it and get it changed.

Quoting Billrae:

I would have asked to speak to her supervisor.

justcyarra
by Brandi on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I am white and my daughters father is black/greek. she always tells people she is black. People always look at her funny.

here is a pic of her

awakemommy
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Aww, she is beautiful. Are you ok with her just identifying with her black side?

Quoting justcyarra:

I am white and my daughters father is black/greek. she always tells people she is black. People always look at her funny.

here is a pic of her

Earn an additional $600 a month, to pay car note, rent, bills and more! This will help make life easier. Go to http://www.yestomoney.info/ for more information. Listen to how this is changing people's lives. (641)715-3800 code 64212# option 2.  Feel free to call me at 484-891-1065.

justcyarra
by Brandi on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Thank you, It doesnt realy bother me. I just think she does it to shock people. Alot of times she says she is black, other times she says she is white, black, greek, and puerto rican (my dh is puerto rican). 

Quoting awakemommy:

Aww, she is beautiful. Are you ok with her just identifying with her black side?

Quoting justcyarra:

here is a pic of her

SouthwesternMom
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I really hate this! And because my kids are part Hispanic, part black and part white - I dont think I should choose! Plus what is the catrgory Black (non Hispanic)???

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)