Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I was forced to choose a race for my daughter

Posted by   + Show Post

My two year old is having some major behavior problems so I decided to get her evaluated. My girls are biracial 1/2 black 1/2 white. When I made the phone call they asked me some questions and of course one of them had to be about her race. I told the lady she was black/white and she said that can't be her race...I have to choose one. I said why do I need to choose when she is both? She said in order for her to help me or to move forward I have to choose one due to regulations. So I chose black because she could pass for that more than white. This just doesn't seem right to me. So now it will be in the records that she has issues and she is black. I just don't understand why I had to choose one. There are so many people who are multi-racial. How are you able to choose? Why are we so hung up on race all the time? I don't think it should matter.

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Replies (21-30):
Choclotize
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I force people to check or MAKE an other box. My family is other, and we are happy being other. Hell you figure my kids are.. get ready...

Original American

North African

Irish

Scottish

Chinese

Danish

West Indian

mizz_mindylou
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:57 PM

who cares what race they are they are beautiful! and behavior problems at 2?! thats normal LOL jk im sure you have seen more than the normal 2yr old;)

Quoting awakemommy:

These are my girls btw. They can pass for many races

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Depends on what she is being seen for and her symptoms. IMHO, yes, she should and she did know since you told her, which is why I am saying she was just being difficult with making you choose one or the other. Most forms I have seen (which is alot working in nursing homes and being a nursing student at a local hospital) have a selection for both races together, the wording can different for different forms tho. Maybe she is just stuck on stupid and didnt see or understand what the words mean on the form giving the choice of mixed? (like biracial or mulatto)

Quoting awakemommy:

I understand now, but wouldn't you think it would be important for them to know she is both then?

Quoting momdoes:

While in a perfect world, race would not matter, but for medical reasons.......it does. Since you called someone in the medical field for treatment (it does not matter what kind of treatment either) The team/dr needs to know sonce some issues can arise due to race/genes. I can bet tho, she put in a margin somewhere taht your daughter was both, she was just being difficult!

awakemommy
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I should have just told her I prefer not answer. I wonder if she still would have helped me. That should be an optional question though.

Quoting -spork2.0-:

There is almost always an "other" or "prefer not to answer" option.

RADmomma
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:03 PM
I can understand that frustration
awakemommy
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you! OMG, this girls behavior is not normal at all for a 2 year old. It's beyond terrible two's, lol

Quoting mizz_mindylou:

who cares what race they are they are beautiful! and behavior problems at 2?! thats normal LOL jk im sure you have seen more than the normal 2yr old;)

Quoting awakemommy:

These are my girls btw. They can pass for many races

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:07 PM

That reminds me of a book I just read, Welcome Home Baby Girl...in it, there is a man who moves to America in like the year 1920...and when he applies for a SS#, they ask his race.  Because he was 10% black, he had to say black...and he was never considered an equal because of it.  He should have said white.  He looked white...I don't know what you should have told that ignorant bitch.

romanceparty4u
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:07 PM

"BIRACIAL" should be on all forms. If it's not, dispute it.

Every form we have here has that box.

Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:10 PM

You shouldn't have too choose . Why is her race even relavent? If someone told me to choose what race I am I would refuse to pick black or white. 

ebbierowe
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:16 PM
I have always picked both for my kids and when I couldn't I would pick other and write in biracial.

At one school I did put "white" on al dd1 forms. Someone changed it to "black"

In Mississippi we were told the child is what the mother is. so i said to the lady telling me thus " by that logic my dd is black and if she has a kid with a white man her kids would still be black even though the would be 3 qtrs white. But if my ds has a kid with a white woman that kid would be white. how does that make sense?"

She just said that was the rule.....stupidest rule ever.

I am sure they are tracking something and they are using race to differentiate or tgey get some kind of funding and have to show who they service.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN