Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I was forced to choose a race for my daughter

Posted by   + Show Post

My two year old is having some major behavior problems so I decided to get her evaluated. My girls are biracial 1/2 black 1/2 white. When I made the phone call they asked me some questions and of course one of them had to be about her race. I told the lady she was black/white and she said that can't be her race...I have to choose one. I said why do I need to choose when she is both? She said in order for her to help me or to move forward I have to choose one due to regulations. So I chose black because she could pass for that more than white. This just doesn't seem right to me. So now it will be in the records that she has issues and she is black. I just don't understand why I had to choose one. There are so many people who are multi-racial. How are you able to choose? Why are we so hung up on race all the time? I don't think it should matter.

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Replies (31-40):
shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this
That happened when I was registering my 5 year old. It said to check ONE. I'm black and white, her father is Puerto Rican and Guatemalan. I checked all that apply.
-spork2.0-
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:17 PM
I get that there may be certain medical issues more likely in certain races, but picking just one may cause them to "forget" about her other half - or the fact that shes unique and may not follow by an set of "rules". Make sense?

Quoting awakemommy:

I should have just told her I prefer not answer. I wonder if she still would have helped me. That should be an optional question though.

Quoting -spork2.0-:

There is almost always an "other" or "prefer not to answer" option.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Was it an option to go to another place, or was that your only choice of help?

Kmary
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Hmm.  I'd imagine she was just following the rules, but yes, that is odd that there wasn't a choice labeled "bi-racial" or "mixed race" or something to that effect.  And from an educational statistics standpoint, it's interesting too...as stats tend to illustrate that there are more disciplinary issues with minorities, but what if many of those stats are skewed due to bi-racial kids being forced to identify as one or the other.  Very interesting indeed.

AzariahsMother
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I am also biracial and I have NEVER identified myself as just being black or just being white.  When filling out applications if it doesn't have an option for biracial/other I put nothing down and that's just want you should have told the lady or spoke to a supervisor.  At least that's what I would have did.  It shouldn't matter, and I am guessing it doesn't but it will matter when it comes to running reports, getting state stats and stuff like that.    

ColorsofAutumnAzariahsmother

aj23
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:30 PM

My son is also black/white and when I went to register him for school this year I noticed that instead of saying black/ white or other like it did last year it just said black. There was a space on the form or corrections so I marked it out and wrote it in correctly on the other side. Then there was some question about something else on the form that was at the bottom of the same page and the school counselor caught me at pick up to ask about it. She had the updated page where they and updated all the other things but still left the race as black so I asked her why it didn't change and she told me it was because of funding for certain things and statistics and they prefer to list the biracial children as black to help with those. I told her if they insisted on labeling him as one race only then I wanted it to be white and I expected it to be corrected. It's a small school with less than 10% minorities (around 50ish kids) and I know at least 15 of those kids are biracial with most being half white.
I'm all for the school getting whatever types of grands and funding it can to help out but I don't appreciate them using kids as pawns and labeling them to skew things in their favor.

stephs5isenough
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I stand in complete agreement with you.

My children are half mexican and half white.  I fill out paper sork often (mostly for school) where I have to choose a race.  I don't like doing that because they are just as much of one as they are of the other.

Mixing races is happening more and more.  When you do have to choose a race on things now, they really need to add 'mixed race' as an option already.

Click my tag to follow me to:

LIVING IN THE ARMS OF JESUS~

Where we Pray, Play and Learn Together

happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Other.Other is always an option.

Kaya529
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol, I used to get in trouble for checking other and writing in human race.

I would have told the women that my kid already had enough issues and I don't need to add identity crisis to the mix.
awakemommy
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Only option for the time

Quoting Kathy489:

Was it an option to go to another place, or was that your only choice of help?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN