Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I was forced to choose a race for my daughter

Posted by   + Show Post

My two year old is having some major behavior problems so I decided to get her evaluated. My girls are biracial 1/2 black 1/2 white. When I made the phone call they asked me some questions and of course one of them had to be about her race. I told the lady she was black/white and she said that can't be her race...I have to choose one. I said why do I need to choose when she is both? She said in order for her to help me or to move forward I have to choose one due to regulations. So I chose black because she could pass for that more than white. This just doesn't seem right to me. So now it will be in the records that she has issues and she is black. I just don't understand why I had to choose one. There are so many people who are multi-racial. How are you able to choose? Why are we so hung up on race all the time? I don't think it should matter.

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Replies (41-50):
awakemommy
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:11 PM

When I said she is "biracial" she told me that is not a race.

Quoting romanceparty4u:

"BIRACIAL" should be on all forms. If it's not, dispute it.

Every form we have here has that box.

sheloveearth
by New Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Other....maybe check other. I have run into the same situation as you, my girls are biracial white/black, if I am "forced" to choose one, and they don't have an option that meets what my kids are than I always say other.

kcash2
by New Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Oh your girls are so pretty. My nephew is "biracial" but I've never used that word. Hes just my nephew to me. I never dreamed my sister would have to put black OR white on paper work. That makes me sad. I'd be calling a supervisor and getting that form changed. Most forms you can put biracial or other. I would mad to have to put only one. It sounds silly to be mad over something so little. But they are your kids and you are proud where they came from
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I would have said the one she looks the least like ... Then when the evaluator commented I would have said well she's bi-racial and they made me choose one
Bizebeemomof3
by New Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I always check both or other and write it in. Even if it says only pick one I still do both.
imandia4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I would have replied "human." when she said to pick one.
imandia4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Isn't there usually a selection for not to tell race? Usually paper work will ask black white hispanic other or prefer not to answer?
imandia4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Ask her what her race is. Is she a fuckin alien from another planet? There is only one race and that os the human race.
susannah2000
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:24 PM

It shouldn't matter, and they shouldn't have asked you, but you didn't "choose a race" for your daughter. You didn't change her in any way. She is the beautiful girl she is. All you did was fill out paperwork, essentially. Additionally,  everyone on earth is racially mixed. Always have been.

Lovemyshadows
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting awakemommy:

These are my girls btw. They can pass for many races

Cute Girls!

pink ribbonblue ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)