Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Need cross country trip, tips!!!!!!

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:38 PM
  • 35 Replies

This planning started out DH flying back here to drive a Uhal after doing the math we found it would be cheaper to hire a Pod type company.

So now it will be me, 2 teens, a dog and cat driving across from California to South Carlina, by our self.

I can't find any online sites that would help me find campgrounds or rest area's.

I plan to drive from 8 to 12 hours a day with 2, 1 hour stops. I have planned out meals and I have also planned how to keep the kids from not killing each other or me.

So any tips or place to try to see while going across country. I will be starting in Northern CA going east on the 80.(In case anyone has done this drive before)

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lazycamper
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Pretty sure Mapquest maps campgrounds. Did you check them out?
Momof2Stepof3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I'll check Mapquest, thank you.

Quoting lazycamper:

Pretty sure Mapquest maps campgrounds. Did you check them out?

knagsmom
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:46 PM
We did that a few.years ago but with a 10 month old and a 1 1/2 yr old it was hard. We stopped every few hours or as needed. And stayed in hotels though. Good luck
Momof2Stepof3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:48 PM

DH wants me and the kids to stay in a hotel but I want to cut cost as best as I can. We are selling 90% of our stuff and what were not selling is going in the Pod. We will have to start over with a lot of things so I want to save.

Quoting knagsmom:

We did that a few.years ago but with a 10 month old and a 1 1/2 yr old it was hard. We stopped every few hours or as needed. And stayed in hotels though. Good luck

Arwyn724
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:57 PM

This is the nightmare of my youth.  My family (2 parents 4 kids) drove from the East Coast to the California Coast, then up to Fairbanks, Alaska then home across Canada.  3 months in a car & camper, have fun on your trip.

Arwyn 724 

Momof2Stepof3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Why was it a nightmare for you? It will be just me and the kids. An we wont be going back to California we are moving to South Carolina.

Quoting Arwyn724:

This is the nightmare of my youth.  My family (2 parenmts 4 kids) drove from the East Coast to the California Coast, then up to Fairbanks, Alaska then home across Canada.  3 months in a car & camper, have fun on your trip.

sahmw2010
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:01 PM
By a road map (not state map) it has all the exits, rest stops, camp grounds. It has gotten us through many PCS's and fun trips
Arwyn724
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:02 PM

1967, no air conditioning in the car, June, July August driving with 4 kids in the back seat, no electronics (hadn't been invented yet), Death Valley, heat and car sickness, 3 months of campground bathrooms & outhouses, . . . as an adult I can appreciate it for the 'learning experience' it was, but as a kid it was some good with mostly unbearable.

Quoting Momof2Stepof3:

Why was it a nightmare for you? It will be just me and the kids. An we wont be going back to California we are moving to South Carolina.

Quoting Arwyn724:

This is the nightmare of my youth.  My family (2 parents 4 kids) drove from the East Coast to the California Coast, then up to Fairbanks, Alaska then home across Canada.  3 months in a car & camper, have fun on your trip.

Arwyn 724 

TardisBlue
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:02 PM
You might consider staying in hotels. The convenience and the real beds could be worth the money. At the end of a long day in the car, it feels so good to take a warm shower and stretch out on a bed.

A good night sleep could make you a safer driver so, to us, it's worth it.
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:11 PM
reserveamerica.com.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN