Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I need leftover/freezer dinner ideas please.PIOG.

Posted by   + Show Post
Ok ladies I need your help. I usually have dinner ready before 6pm but I'm working until 5-5:30 so that won't be possible. I want to make meals that dh can heat up for Dd when he gets home,so I need ideas. I'm tired of cooking the same things. Rice,beans,meat that's like our menu almost every night. Dd loves mashed potatoes( if anyone can tell me how to make them from scratch even better LOL) so what are good leftovers dinner ideas? Thanks
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Replies (11-18):
jconney80
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Casseroles

jconney80
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM

chicken and rice

LadySlimm
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Make sauces for pasta and freeze them. We make a red sauce (can be used for spaghetti, lasagna, stuffed shells, etc) and a white sauce (like alfredo). Stock up on different pastas, and you can make several dinners. Add some veggies (green beans go great with the red pastas), maybe some garlic bread, and you got something even your DH can make. 

LadySlimm
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:27 PM

And as for mashed potatoes, just peel some potatoes, dice them up, boil to fork soft, drain, mash, add salt, butter, and milk to taste, and maybe even some sour cream. Simple as that :)

SRUsarahSC
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Allrecipes.com. . It has been a huge help for me!

CampClan
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Mashed potatoes are so easy! Peel, cube, & boil potatoes until tender. Mash up, add cream (or milk), butter, & salt & pepper (if desired) & beat with mixer until smooth. My kids love home made mashed potatoes. I started making them 3 years ago & my oldest refuses to eat boxed/instant potatoes now.

As for freezer meals- lots of casseroles. Lasagna, johnny marzetti, chicken dishes, etc. Check Pinterest for some great ideas.

shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I just made 5 pounds of mashed potatoes and froze them in quart freezer bags, and made a shepherds pie with the rest. Just peel and cube your potatoes, boil until tender, drain, I use my beaters and beat in hot milk and butter until creamy and fluffy. If you freeze them all you have to do is either take them out of the freezer and thaw in your fridge during the day and heat in micro or stove top, or just do what I do and put the frozen block in a baking pan and cook at 400 until heated thru, I like this way because they turn brown on top and that adds extra flavor, and you can put toppings on it like cheese and onions

Marge2624
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM

When I make spaghetti and meatballs, I always double the meatballs and freeze them to reheat for meatball grinders later in the week.  You can thaw in the AM and reheat at dinner time or toss them in a crockpot on low frozen before going to work.  Casseroles also freeze pretty well and are easy to reheat in the oven or microwave.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)