Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

6 million children have this in America....your child could be one of them!

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:26 AM
  • 50 Replies
I was just watching a show on Discovery Channel about food allergies in children of the US. It was very interesting!

It touched me personally since I have lived with a peanut allergy my whole life ( 38 yrs...yep I'm old! Lol) Anyways I was shocked about the rise in not only peanuts but other foods as well.

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON WITH THIS??? They said 1 out of every 13 kids has food allergies. That's about 2 per classroom. Makes me wonder why. Growing up I felt like a freak! I was the only one with a food allergy.

I'm so afraid for my new little one! My 16 and 17 yr old have made it through without any food allergies. THANK GOD! I am on the fence as to how the schools handle food allergies. Most schools around us have peanut free tables and just take extra precaution. IMO making a school go peanut/nut free is impossible and gives a false sense of security. ....WHICH IS DANGEROUS! LIFE THREATENING!

I think it is important that the children with the allergies be taught how to live with them. They should also be taught to be on alert at all times. There is NEVER a circumstance where they are 100% free from coming into contact or having a reaction. I know about this all too well! I've had many trips to the ER. A shot of steroids has saved my life ( epi pen) . I have OCD. I don't think anyone is as safe as I am and I still can't avoid it as an adult! It was impossible when I worked for the school district subbing and Special Ed.

I don't think we have to " cater" to those with allergies but I do think its a good idea to educate children about the world and people around them. Schools can take measures without going completely peanut/ nut free as well by encouraging hand washing after snacks/ lunch, cafeteria and room set up, plans for the student and educating staff and all students!

Well that's my two cents for the morning :)
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:35 AM

 i used to think the same thing, but then there was one student so severely allergic to peanuts that he went into shock because he smelt the peanut butter on his classmates breath after that class mate ate a PBJ and the boy who was allergic sat at the peanut free table. the school did not know that just the smell on your breath would put him into shock, so after that, it became a peanut free zone, and I was glad they did that.

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this
He is still not safe though :( you can't completely control it. Too many kids are involved. The can have it on their faces , hands, clothing and so on from home outside of school. I've never heard of going into shock from smelling it. If he was that close to smell it on his breath chances are he physically came into contact with it.

Imo if a child is that sensitive I would home school! Like I said before its never completely avoidable!


Quoting sahmw2010:

 i used to think the same thing, but then there was one student so severely allergic to peanuts that he went into shock because he smelt the peanut butter on his classmates breath after that class mate ate a PBJ and the boy who was allergic sat at the peanut free table. the school did not know that just the smell on your breath would put him into shock, so after that, it became a peanut free zone, and I was glad they did that.


melissa632
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
None of my children have any food allergies. But, I have wondered about the seemingly sudden spike in food allergies & autism. Crazy.
AmiJanell
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:47 AM
I am so thankful that neither of my children have had an problems so far. My sons school has a peanut free table... But knowing how careless kids can be... I will never send my kids with peanut butter for lunch (or peanut anything) I couldn't live with myself if I knew I had harmed a child with a stupid sanwhich.

I've developed an allergy to shrimp as an adult... Thankfully it's not severe... Only annoying at this point. My husband has problems with red sauces if he has too much... And we have found that he can't exercise after eating red foods or he has a severe reaction... Vomiting, throat and face swelling, hives, wheezing... It's scary!
demonica29
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:49 AM
3 moms liked this

I think I love you.  That was one of the most rational posts about peanut allergies imhave ever read, go figure, it was posted by someone who has had one for 38 years.  You get my personal mommy sanity award for the day!!!

cLanief
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:53 AM
2 moms liked this
Peanut allergies used to be hereditary.. now we're going nuts with peanut and other allergies. Look at all the chemicals we consume and inject... we're spitting out the generations that were the guiney pigs.
demonica29
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Smelt is an ocean fish.  Sorry, but you're falling on deaf ears after that. 


Quoting sahmw2010:

 i used to think the same thing, but then there was one student so severely allergic to peanuts that he went into shock because he smelt the peanut butter on his classmates breath after that class mate ate a PBJ and the boy who was allergic sat at the peanut free table. the school did not know that just the smell on your breath would put him into shock, so after that, it became a peanut free zone, and I was glad they did that.



crystalplus1
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I think its a good idea to be peanut free in elementary school, but when the kids go to high school they should be learning how to manage it on their own by then anyway.

Ds has a barley intolerance, but no allergies that we know of.

crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:01 AM
2 moms liked this
Look at all the pesticides, and genetically modified "foods", livestock injected with antibiotics and steroids that we are eatting.

You can't do that to crops, seeds, and animals without paying a price somewhere.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

they are also found in rivers and the great lakes.

Quoting demonica29:

Smelt is an ocean fish.  Sorry, but you're falling on deaf ears after that. 


Quoting sahmw2010:

 i used to think the same thing, but then there was one student so severely allergic to peanuts that he went into shock because he smelt the peanut butter on his classmates breath after that class mate ate a PBJ and the boy who was allergic sat at the peanut free table. the school did not know that just the smell on your breath would put him into shock, so after that, it became a peanut free zone, and I was glad they did that.




Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)