Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

6 million children have this in America....your child could be one of them!

I was just watching a show on Discovery Channel about food allergies in children of the US. It was very interesting!

It touched me personally since I have lived with a peanut allergy my whole life ( 38 yrs...yep I'm old! Lol) Anyways I was shocked about the rise in not only peanuts but other foods as well.

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON WITH THIS??? They said 1 out of every 13 kids has food allergies. That's about 2 per classroom. Makes me wonder why. Growing up I felt like a freak! I was the only one with a food allergy.

I'm so afraid for my new little one! My 16 and 17 yr old have made it through without any food allergies. THANK GOD! I am on the fence as to how the schools handle food allergies. Most schools around us have peanut free tables and just take extra precaution. IMO making a school go peanut/nut free is impossible and gives a false sense of security. ....WHICH IS DANGEROUS! LIFE THREATENING!

I think it is important that the children with the allergies be taught how to live with them. They should also be taught to be on alert at all times. There is NEVER a circumstance where they are 100% free from coming into contact or having a reaction. I know about this all too well! I've had many trips to the ER. A shot of steroids has saved my life ( epi pen) . I have OCD. I don't think anyone is as safe as I am and I still can't avoid it as an adult! It was impossible when I worked for the school district subbing and Special Ed.

I don't think we have to " cater" to those with allergies but I do think its a good idea to educate children about the world and people around them. Schools can take measures without going completely peanut/ nut free as well by encouraging hand washing after snacks/ lunch, cafeteria and room set up, plans for the student and educating staff and all students!

Well that's my two cents for the morning :)
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Replies (11-20):
Bmat
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I was surprised about peanut allergy when a lady had a reaction. She was behind a desk in a huge room, so it isn't as though she was in a tiny office. She had a reaction and asked if there were peanuts around, and under the other end of the long desk sat a potted peanut plant that someone had brought in to give to another lady.  It wasn't even peanuts- just the plant!

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Food allergies yes...Autism not so much. We just know more about Autism and how to diagnose it at an earlier age. I've had a lot of training on it working in Special Education.

Quoting melissa632:

None of my children have any food allergies. But, I have wondered about the seemingly sudden spike in food allergies & autism. Crazy.

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Yikes!

Quoting Bmat:

I was surprised about peanut allergy when a lady had a reaction. She was behind a desk in a huge room, so it isn't as though she was in a tiny office. She had a reaction and asked if there were peanuts around, and under the other end of the long desk sat a potted peanut plant that someone had brought in to give to another lady.  It wasn't even peanuts- just the plant!

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Thank you! :)

Quoting demonica29:

I think I love you.  That was one of the most rational posts about peanut allergies imhave ever read, go figure, it was posted by someone who has had one for 38 years.  You get my personal mommy sanity award for the day!!!

melissa632
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Idk. I think the spectrum is too broad, personally. However, I admit I'm not overly knowledgeable in that area as I really don't know anyone who is autistic or that have autistic children.

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

Food allergies yes...Autism not so much. We just know more about Autism and how to diagnose it at an earlier age. I've had a lot of training on it working in Special Education.

Quoting melissa632:

None of my children have any food allergies. But, I have wondered about the seemingly sudden spike in food allergies & autism. Crazy.

WendyJR
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Ds had a sensitivity to bananas. But thankfully has outgrown it.

I grew up with a cousin that had sever food allergies dairy being the worst of them. Thankfully after year of shots and meds she outgrew some of them but still deathly allergic to dairy. (A drop on her arm will cause her to swell). She is 24 and managed fine at school without any food bans. She had the most trouble when she went to college--3 epis in her first month there.
Food allergies are scary :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AustinRonMommy
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:46 AM
My kids aren't allergic to anything foodwise. They do have seasonal allergies but so do I. My mother is severely allergic to animals so they got that from her through me but they are ok. Just take claritin.
mrsjksimmons
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with educating our kids. My son knows what foods contain peanuts. He's also allergic to eggs (actual eggs not if they are cooked in foods like cake) and his milk allergy has grown into lactose intolerant.

He knows to say no to those foods. He also knows to ask about foods too. He's only 5.

jconney80
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I think food allergies are just understood more now and that is a part of it. Back in the day if you had an allergy you didn't get as much testing done. I had a severe reaction to mangos as a kid but no Epipen and no allergy testing. My two youngest kids have severe food allergies and have to have an Epipen. I've read that vaccines contain peanut oil so it could be causing the rise in peanut allergies.

lazycamper
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Our food supply, the drugs they put women on while pregnant, environmental factors.. Take your pick... :( And old? Oh, don't make me e kick your butt. Lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)