Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

6 million children have this in America....your child could be one of them!

I was just watching a show on Discovery Channel about food allergies in children of the US. It was very interesting!

It touched me personally since I have lived with a peanut allergy my whole life ( 38 yrs...yep I'm old! Lol) Anyways I was shocked about the rise in not only peanuts but other foods as well.

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON WITH THIS??? They said 1 out of every 13 kids has food allergies. That's about 2 per classroom. Makes me wonder why. Growing up I felt like a freak! I was the only one with a food allergy.

I'm so afraid for my new little one! My 16 and 17 yr old have made it through without any food allergies. THANK GOD! I am on the fence as to how the schools handle food allergies. Most schools around us have peanut free tables and just take extra precaution. IMO making a school go peanut/nut free is impossible and gives a false sense of security. ....WHICH IS DANGEROUS! LIFE THREATENING!

I think it is important that the children with the allergies be taught how to live with them. They should also be taught to be on alert at all times. There is NEVER a circumstance where they are 100% free from coming into contact or having a reaction. I know about this all too well! I've had many trips to the ER. A shot of steroids has saved my life ( epi pen) . I have OCD. I don't think anyone is as safe as I am and I still can't avoid it as an adult! It was impossible when I worked for the school district subbing and Special Ed.

I don't think we have to " cater" to those with allergies but I do think its a good idea to educate children about the world and people around them. Schools can take measures without going completely peanut/ nut free as well by encouraging hand washing after snacks/ lunch, cafeteria and room set up, plans for the student and educating staff and all students!

Well that's my two cents for the morning :)
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Replies (21-30):
MamaRae85
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM

It's also a process used with metal, and, in many parts of the world, a past participle of "smell".

Smelt is an ocean fish.  Sorry, but you're falling on deaf ears after that. 

Quoting sahmw2010:

i used to think the same thing, but then there was one student so severely allergic to peanuts that he went into shock because he smelt the peanut butter on his classmates breath after that class mate ate a PBJ and the boy who was allergic sat at the peanut free table. the school did not know that just the smell on your breath would put him into shock, so after that, it became a peanut free zone, and I was glad they did that.

letstalk747
by Joy on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:35 PM

no issues so far anyway

KelliansMom
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:41 PM

My husband is allergic to all tree nuts, Cashews are deadly to him.  Our son how ever doesnt have an allergy to them all though we did worry about it and still do since allergies can pop up at anytime during your life. Im not really sure whats causing this large spike in children with allergies but I have a feeling its a huge comination of things from delyaing of eating the food till much later in life with our enviroment and all the fake processed foods we eat. and maybe the gmos too. I just havent researched it enough to really give a good opinon about it

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 2:03 PM
They did up until the 70's....If I'm remembering correctly

Quoting jconney80:

I think food allergies are just understood more now and that is a part of it. Back in the day if you had an allergy you didn't get as much testing done. I had a severe reaction to mangos as a kid but no Epipen and no allergy testing. My two youngest kids have severe food allergies and have to have an Epipen. I've read that vaccines contain peanut oil so it could be causing the rise in peanut allergies.

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Bump
RaineyLeigh
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I think its been rising because companies like Monsanto and those big pharma companies keep messing with the food supply, trying to change it and control it. If they would just leave things alone AND if people would slow down and learn to cook fresh food (not processed), we would ALL be alot better off!

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 2:14 PM
You think its what the mother is eating while pregnant? Because most kids are born with the peanut allergy.

Quoting RaineyLeigh:

I think its been rising because companies like Monsanto and those big pharma companies keep messing with the food supply, trying to change it and control it. If they would just leave things alone AND if people would slow down and learn to cook fresh food (not processed), we would ALL be alot better off!

Mom-does-hair
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Thank you for not being crazy. I think it's weird too, the rise of allergies. I knew one person with a peanut allergy. The real world will not make exceptions for people with allergies, so best to learn to live with them. Yes, I understand they are life threatening. My ds has an egg allergy, but I don't expect his friends to not bring egg salad for lunch. He has known to ask what's in things and if in doubt, don 't eat it, since he started school.
Mom-does-hair
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 2:22 PM
I have wondered this as well.

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

You think its what the mother is eating while pregnant? Because most kids are born with the peanut allergy.

Quoting RaineyLeigh:

heresjohnny
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:17 PM

My opinion has no scientific basis at all, but here it goes. I honestly don't think the allergy rate is on the rise, I just think we've become better at testing for them. There are so many levels of allergies, from small to severe. Nowadays we test kids and babies for allergies before they've even had a chance to try the foods they've been tested for. If the test comes up positive for an allergy, we go into overdrive and clear those foods from a kid's diet. And no, I'm not saying allergies aren't to be taken seriously, I saying that there's a big difference between a light/undetectable allergy, and one that needs an epipen. I'm willing to bet that if everyone in the world gets tested for allergies, we'll see another sharp rise in allergies. It won't be because everyone suddenly became allergic overnight, it's that they were allergic all along and never knew it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN