Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

6 million children have this in America....your child could be one of them!

I was just watching a show on Discovery Channel about food allergies in children of the US. It was very interesting!

It touched me personally since I have lived with a peanut allergy my whole life ( 38 yrs...yep I'm old! Lol) Anyways I was shocked about the rise in not only peanuts but other foods as well.

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON WITH THIS??? They said 1 out of every 13 kids has food allergies. That's about 2 per classroom. Makes me wonder why. Growing up I felt like a freak! I was the only one with a food allergy.

I'm so afraid for my new little one! My 16 and 17 yr old have made it through without any food allergies. THANK GOD! I am on the fence as to how the schools handle food allergies. Most schools around us have peanut free tables and just take extra precaution. IMO making a school go peanut/nut free is impossible and gives a false sense of security. ....WHICH IS DANGEROUS! LIFE THREATENING!

I think it is important that the children with the allergies be taught how to live with them. They should also be taught to be on alert at all times. There is NEVER a circumstance where they are 100% free from coming into contact or having a reaction. I know about this all too well! I've had many trips to the ER. A shot of steroids has saved my life ( epi pen) . I have OCD. I don't think anyone is as safe as I am and I still can't avoid it as an adult! It was impossible when I worked for the school district subbing and Special Ed.

I don't think we have to " cater" to those with allergies but I do think its a good idea to educate children about the world and people around them. Schools can take measures without going completely peanut/ nut free as well by encouraging hand washing after snacks/ lunch, cafeteria and room set up, plans for the student and educating staff and all students!

Well that's my two cents for the morning :)
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Replies (41-50):
wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Its peanuts specifically that are on the rise.


Quoting heresjohnny:

My opinion has no scientific basis at all, but here it goes. I honestly don't think the allergy rate is on the rise, I just think we've become better at testing for them. There are so many levels of allergies, from small to severe. Nowadays we test kids and babies for allergies before they've even had a chance to try the foods they've been tested for. If the test comes up positive for an allergy, we go into overdrive and clear those foods from a kid's diet. And no, I'm not saying allergies aren't to be taken seriously, I saying that there's a big difference between a light/undetectable allergy, and one that needs an epipen. I'm willing to bet that if everyone in the world gets tested for allergies, we'll see another sharp rise in allergies. It won't be because everyone suddenly became allergic overnight, it's that they were allergic all along and never knew it.


bzzybeemomof3
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:24 PM

 As a Australian study has been done and Canada as slowly adapted to it. They believe that the spike in food allergies is because of the "delaying of solids" as an infant. I am not on the lap top right now. But I have an awesome article about how they feel that since America has started to tell parents to delay foods, and those they believe are high allergin foods, the allergies in children have grown.

Whic is why a lot of Canadian and Australian Pedis and dieticians have said (started back in) 2010 or 2011 (cant remember) started saying that no foods to infants over 6 months was off limits, into helping reduce the risk of allergies. Now its a study that is still in progress.

Wish I could remember where I got it, it was given to me my dds, pedi and her dietician.

Apparently Canadian and Australians have fewer food allergies then American children since they first adapted the study in 07 or 08. I wil have to dig up my lap top and get that info. lol

 

We are 100% nut free in my city. from daycares to schools, to indoor parks, to swimming places, dance classes, any place that caters to kids.

 

o0LadyRaider0o
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Monsanto is your answer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gingered
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:01 AM
1 mom liked this

 I believe that the allergy increase has to do with several things. Our food being genetically modified, the pesticides that they drench our food in, toxic chemicals like food coloring and aspartame, the ridiculous amount of vaccinations, livestock loaded up on antibiotics and steroids. I think that kids are being overloaded with toxins in our environment and it has f'd up their immune systems. There is also a huge increase in many other autoimmune illnesses.

I get that kids need to be taught to be very cautious about their own allergies, however, if a child has a life threatening allergy to something, I feel that it is reasonable to limit it in the school.

momof2gingers
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:11 AM
Youngest ds is allergic to tree nuts and has an egg sensitivity. Weird thing is my dad always has a tin of mixed nuts sitting by the couch and he has been into that constantly since he was one. Then I brought some pistachios in and BAM hives, fever watery eyes and vomiting. Took him to the allergist and they did the test and he got the welt faintly on eggs and bad on tree nuts.
I think I'm sensitive to cloves. I eat a sweet potato pie or clove candy and my tongue swells slightly and starts tingling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluediamondmom
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:39 AM
Thankfully, no food allergies here. My Mom had fierce medication allergies though, as did her Mom (my Grandmom) before her (and I remember Mom saying my great grandmother also had some medication allergies as well).

I was hospitalized as a toddler (don't remember it, but saw pictures & still have the stuffed doggie my Dad gave me during it) for pneumonia. Apparently that's when it became clear I was allergic to penicillin - as my maternal line was as well.

There are 1/2 dozen meds I've proved to be intolerant to over the years and they're all on allergy alerts for my Mom and Grandmom as well.

DS2 is 16 and we learned he is allergic to penicillin when he was small. Therefore, we've taught all 3 of our boys my med allergies and also put that info on their medical records as unknown but high possibility for reactions.

DH has no known allergies except seasonal pollen. Very scary, but I can see the hereditary link being a huge possibility.


Quoting AustinRonMommy:

My kids aren't allergic to anything foodwise. They do have seasonal allergies but so do I. My mother is severely allergic to animals so they got that from her through me but they are ok. Just take claritin.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conweis
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I was just about to say if a child is that sensitive than he should be homeschooled.

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

He is still not safe though :( you can't completely control it. Too many kids are involved. The can have it on their faces , hands, clothing and so on from home outside of school. I've never heard of going into shock from smelling it. If he was that close to smell it on his breath chances are he physically came into contact with it.

Imo if a child is that sensitive I would home school! Like I said before its never completely avoidable!


Quoting sahmw2010:

 i used to think the same thing, but then there was one student so severely allergic to peanuts that he went into shock because he smelt the peanut butter on his classmates breath after that class mate ate a PBJ and the boy who was allergic sat at the peanut free table. the school did not know that just the smell on your breath would put him into shock, so after that, it became a peanut free zone, and I was glad they did that.



Oceana09
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:26 AM

It's because the dynamics of things have changed. The amount of chemicals that are in our foods (yes, even baby foods), the chemicals that we breathe in every second of every day from air pollution. It all adds up and there have been side affects, between the rise in autistic children, children with disabilites in general, and people with food allergies. I've never been allergic to any type of food, yet just the other day I ended up having an allergic reaction to coconut. What are the odds?

knagsmom
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:31 AM
OP I agree. My ds 6 is allergic to blueberries and purple dye. While I have told the teacher and school of his allergies I made sure ds knows not to eat or drink anything that he doesn't know what's in it. He knows that words to look for but if not sure he ask an adult. I know that I can't control the school in not allowing purple dye or blueberries and I worry everyday.
Kriskash25
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I like your take on this! Because your right I don't think is up to the school or other parents to protect others kids it's those parents job to make sure that the child is educated and of course as you said for their to be guidelines for lunch and snack times: wash hands, no food sharing or trading etc. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)