Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

want to work for Flagler County Florida?  Dont bother applying if you smoke.  You will be given a blood test as part of the application process and have to sign an affidavit that you wont start!  Random testing will occur as well!

How do you feel about this?  Im not a smoker and i hate the smell but it seems a bit crazy!

by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Replies (21-30):
momdoes
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:04 PM
3 moms liked this

LOL.......Good old insurance stance will not matter come January!

As for Hygiene issues.....My teeth are not yellow (I keep them brushed! and whiten if need be) I work with the public in a hospital as well and no one, not even my instructor or classmates know I smoke. I have only taken off work for surgery (hysterectomy) and for the flu once and I am 40 will be 41 the 13th!

Wanna know why all this is possible? I smoke Ecigs. But it is nicotine and a policy like this puts me out of a job. A viable, willing and capable human being with skills, denied employment because of a legal drug in my system. Want to hear no shit from people like me? Get nicotine illegal, just like meth or herione.

Quoting Moonbabylove:

Sounds perfectly reasonable. They pay for your insurance. Not to mention the hygiene issues. It smells and if you are dealing with the public it is gross. Not to mention third hand smoke if you have to touch people like in hospitals or massage places. Smokers have poorer immunity and are more likely to take sick days. I don't even understand why you would do it. There are no benefits!

mjande4
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I did a finance lesson with my high schoolers on this.  Smokers cost employers an average of $6000 more than a nonsmoker in lost production and health insurance costs.

Quoting omm76002:

Is there a reason they hate smokers? I smoke and it is legal i don't understand how they do this!!

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:22 PM
5 moms liked this

I get that. I have heard it before but answer this!

Why will the health insurance gripe matter when Obamacare goes into effect? HUM. MORE employers will be taking away hrs from workers so they do not have to provide the ins. (lost production could happen there, if not make an entire company fall, esp small ones) Lost production how? I am assuming because people contract the flu, common cold virus and other viruses. Smoking has no effect on that seeing as the healthiest of people contract viruses as well. Lost production due to those who develope cancer from smoking? Hum, yea maybe but I think there may be MORE people (baby boomers esp) RETIRING at far more numbers than those who must quit work due to cancer in a given year.
 And what about obese or diabetic employees? Should  employers screen your weight as well and base employment off that? Diabetics can cost employers alot in ins and lost production and time as well, esp those who refuse to care for themselves. What about breastfeeding moms who must leave the floor to go pump? Lost production there. Hell, getting pregnant period= lost production! Must we also prove contraceptive use? And that cost the company too!

WHERE DOES THE LINE DRAW?

Quoting mjande4:

I did a finance lesson with my high schoolers on this.  Smokers cost employers an average of $6000 more than a nonsmoker in lost production and health insurance costs.

Quoting omm76002:

Is there a reason they hate smokers? I smoke and it is legal i don't understand how they do this!!

pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:26 PM

A little extreme. I can see no smoking at work. But what one does at home on their own time is their own business.  Just tell them if they take the company insurance.  You pay a higher premium for being a smoker.

mjande4
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I would say that this county in Florida is doing smokers a favor by telling them up front. Most employers won't tell you in the interview, they just won't hire you.

Quoting momdoes:

Why will the health insurance gripe matter when Obamacare goes into effect? HUM. MORE employers will be taking away hrs from workers so they do not have to provide the ins. (lost production could happen there, if not make an entire company fall, esp small ones) Lost production how? I am assuming because people contract the flu, common cold virus and other viruses. Smoking has no effect on that seeing as the healthiest of people contract viruses as well. Lost production due to those who develope cancer from smoking? Hum, yea maybe but I think there may be MORE people (baby boomers esp) RETIRING at far more numbers than those who must quit work due to cancer in a given year.
 And what about obese or diabetic employees? Should  employers screen your weight as well and base employment off that? Diabetics can cost employers alot in ins and lost production and time as well, esp those who refuse to care for themselves. What about breastfeeding moms who must leave the floor to go pump? Lost production there. Hell, getting pregnant period= lost production! Must we also prove contraceptive use? And that cost the company too!

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting omm76002:

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Many smokers are willing to pay the differnce in ins costs to themselves.

LOL....I am sitting talking about all this with dh. I told him about the smell of cig smoke on people. Given that I have worked in factories, retail, fast food, etc, I have been close to a number of different people and let me tell you, I would much rather smell cigarette smoke on someone verses smelling ass or B.O.!

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

A little extreme. I can see no smoking at work. But what one does at home on their own time is their own business.  Just tell them if they take the company insurance.  You pay a higher premium for being a smoker.

dlock25
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this
That 4 to 5 times a year will cost you a job. It could pick up if you have smoked within6 months. If will flag to if your around someone else who smokes on a regular basis. How's that fair?

Quoting jakesmom323:

Sounds fair. Its a legalized drug that says it will kill you on the side of box. Its only gross unless I do it 4 -5 times a year with some wine and girlfriends;)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angevil53
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Good.
momdoes
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Cant draw your blood without a signed consent and inform first. I never put on an app that I smoke. Its none of any ones business if I do or not.

Quoting mjande4:

I would say that this county in Florida is doing smokers a favor by telling them up front. Most employers won't tell you in the interview, they just won't hire you.

Quoting momdoes:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting omm76002:

JamieBue38
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:33 PM
There are some things that would be hypocritical if you're a smoker. Like a doctor or nurse.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)