Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

want to work for Flagler County Florida?  Dont bother applying if you smoke.  You will be given a blood test as part of the application process and have to sign an affidavit that you wont start!  Random testing will occur as well!

How do you feel about this?  Im not a smoker and i hate the smell but it seems a bit crazy!

by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Replies (31-40):
mjande4
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:34 PM
2 moms liked this

One doesn't need to draw blood to know if someone smokes. Lol Maybe it's not as obvious to a smoker, but trust me when I say non smokers can spot a smoker a mile away WITHOUT a cigarette in hand.

Quoting momdoes:

Cant draw your blood without a signed consent and inform first. I never put on an app that I smoke. Its none of any ones business if I do or not.

Quoting mjande4:

I would say that this county in Florida is doing smokers a favor by telling them up front. Most employers won't tell you in the interview, they just won't hire you.

Quoting momdoes:

I get that. I have heard it before but answer this!

Why will the health insurance gripe matter when Obamacare goes into effect? HUM. MORE employers will be taking away hrs from workers so they do not have to provide the ins. (lost production could happen there, if not make an entire company fall, esp small ones) Lost production how? I am assuming because people contract the flu, common cold virus and other viruses. Smoking has no effect on that seeing as the healthiest of people contract viruses as well. Lost production due to those who develope cancer from smoking? Hum, yea maybe but I think there may be MORE people (baby boomers esp) RETIRING at far more numbers than those who must quit work due to cancer in a given year.
 And what about obese or diabetic employees? Should  employers screen your weight as well and base employment off that? Diabetics can cost employers alot in ins and lost production and time as well, esp those who refuse to care for themselves. What about breastfeeding moms who must leave the floor to go pump? Lost production there. Hell, getting pregnant period= lost production! Must we also prove contraceptive use? And that cost the company too!

WHERE DOES THE LINE DRAW?

Quoting mjande4:

I did a finance lesson with my high schoolers on this.  Smokers cost employers an average of $6000 more than a nonsmoker in lost production and health insurance costs.

Quoting omm76002:

Is there a reason they hate smokers? I smoke and it is legal i don't understand how they do this!!

jakesmom323
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Not my problem.....if you are worried about it, then you shouldn't take a job there....easy peasy

Quoting dlock25:

That 4 to 5 times a year will cost you a job. It could pick up if you have smoked within6 months. If will flag to if your around someone else who smokes on a regular basis. How's that fair?

Quoting jakesmom323:

Sounds fair. Its a legalized drug that says it will kill you on the side of box. Its only gross unless I do it 4 -5 times a year with some wine and girlfriends;)

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this

This is the arguement at hand.....a company drawing your blood to screen for nicotine and then denying employment based on results!

And no, a non smoker is not psychic. LOL....I am a nursing student who smokes (ecig) and none of my instructors or classmates, patients or drs know I do! There is no smell. No yellowing of fingers or teeth. NOTHING to alert that I smoke. In fact, when I confess that I do smoke, I am greeted with alot of NO! I never would have guessed!

Quoting mjande4:

One doesn't need to draw blood to know if someone smokes. Lol Maybe it's not as obvious to a smoker, but trust me when I say non smokers can spot a smoker a mike away WITHOUT a cigarette in hand.

Quoting momdoes:

Cant draw your blood without a signed consent and inform first. I never put on an app that I smoke. Its none of any ones business if I do or not.

Quoting mjande4:

I would say that this county in Florida is doing smokers a favor by telling them up front. Most employers won't tell you in the interview, they just won't hire you.

Quoting momdoes:

Why will the health insurance gripe matter when Obamacare goes into effect? HUM. MORE employers will be taking away hrs from workers so they do not have to provide the ins. (lost production could happen there, if not make an entire company fall, esp small ones) Lost production how? I am assuming because people contract the flu, common cold virus and other viruses. Smoking has no effect on that seeing as the healthiest of people contract viruses as well. Lost production due to those who develope cancer from smoking? Hum, yea maybe but I think there may be MORE people (baby boomers esp) RETIRING at far more numbers than those who must quit work due to cancer in a given year.
 And what about obese or diabetic employees? Should  employers screen your weight as well and base employment off that? Diabetics can cost employers alot in ins and lost production and time as well, esp those who refuse to care for themselves. What about breastfeeding moms who must leave the floor to go pump? Lost production there. Hell, getting pregnant period= lost production! Must we also prove contraceptive use? And that cost the company too!

Quoting mjande4:

I did a finance lesson with my high schoolers on this.  Smokers cost employers an average of $6000 more than a nonsmoker in lost production and health insurance costs.

Quoting omm76002:

Is there a reason they hate smokers? I smoke and it is legal i don't understand how they do this!!

mjande4
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:42 PM
2 moms liked this

Keep telling yourself that! I've passed on potential employees more than once because I could see the lines around the mouth/scratchy voice, etc. All other things being equal, the nonsmoker is going to get picked every time.

Quoting momdoes:

This is the arguement at hand.....a company drawing your blood to screen for nicotine and then denying employment based on results!

And no, a non smoker is not psychic. LOL....I am a nursing student who smokes (ecig) and none of my instructors or classmates, patients or drs know I do! There is no smell. No yellowing of fingers or teeth. NOTHING to alert that I smoke. In fact, when I confess that I do smoke, I am greeted with alot of NO! I never would have guessed!

Quoting mjande4:

One doesn't need to draw blood to know if someone smokes. Lol Maybe it's not as obvious to a smoker, but trust me when I say non smokers can spot a smoker a mike away WITHOUT a cigarette in hand.

Quoting momdoes:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting momdoes:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting omm76002:

Liastele
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:46 PM
2 moms liked this

There are some lines of work, like medical, where its pretty lame for a nurse that reeks of smoke to lecture you about smoking being bad for your health. Likewise, the stinky smokey nurse can't really help the asthma patient, etc. I wouldn't want even the janitor reeking of smoke while he's cleaning the hospital room, you know?

I wouldn't want my chef, waitress, hair stylist, clothing store worker, or really anyone who comes face to face with the customer to be stinking.

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:49 PM
2 moms liked this

That is straight up discrimination if you dont give employment to someone who has wrinkles or may have had throat cancer once or just got over a cold. Tell me something, do you do the same with someone who would confess to having a tiny tattoo or even if you seen it under the sleeve of their shirt????

Quoting mjande4:

Keep telling yourself that! I've passed on potential employees more than once because I could see the lines around the mouth/scratchy voice, etc. All other things being equal, the nonsmoker is going to get picked every time.

Quoting momdoes:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting momdoes:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting momdoes:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting omm76002:

mjande4
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Of course it is and it's perfectly legal. Yes, I do the same with tattoos as well. 

Quoting momdoes:

That is straight up discrimination if you dont give employment to someone who has wrinkles or may have had throat cancer once or just got over a cold. Tell me something, do you do the same with someone who would confess to having a tiny tattoo or even if you seen it under the sleeve of their shirt????

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting momdoes:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting momdoes:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting momdoes:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting omm76002:

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:55 PM
2 moms liked this

When did they pass the law that you can discriminate against age and medical history?

Wrinkles = age (and wisdom btw)

The tattoo thing is just pure profiling. Police are not allowed to do it and neither should an employer.

Quoting mjande4:

Of course it is and it's perfectly legal. Yes, I do the same with tattoos as well. 

Quoting momdoes:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting momdoes:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting momdoes:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting momdoes:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting omm76002:

mjande4
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:12 PM

LOL no employer is ever going to tell you that they did not hire you because you smoke or you have tattoos, but they just won't.  It's a pretty standard hiring practice.  That's why there are interviews, so you can visually determine if the person fits the profile that you are looking to add to your company/team.

Quoting momdoes:

When did they pass the law that you can discriminate against age and medical history?

Wrinkles = age (and wisdom btw)

The tattoo thing is just pure profiling. Police are not allowed to do it and neither should an employer.

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting momdoes:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting momdoes:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting momdoes:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting momdoes:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting omm76002:

SRUsarahSC
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:14 PM

for some states they cover less of your insurance if you are overweight.  If you are overweight and smoke as well it drops even more.  Incentive to quit and lose weight I would assume.

Pumping breastmilk is legally covered because the health benefits for the mom and the baby are proven.  They have to give you the breaks but they don't have to be paid....if you get paid breaks and you want to use them, fine, but if you don't then you need to make that time up.

For Quoting momdoes:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting omm76002:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN