Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

want to work for Flagler County Florida?  Dont bother applying if you smoke.  You will be given a blood test as part of the application process and have to sign an affidavit that you wont start!  Random testing will occur as well!

How do you feel about this?  Im not a smoker and i hate the smell but it seems a bit crazy!

by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Replies (401-409):
jojo_star
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:34 PM
I agree. My hospital tests for nicotine use, and won't hire based on it. It's a danger to our patients.
Jennyanndiana
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I have issues with being told what I can and cannot do when I am on my own time, in my own home, and not engaging in anything illegal.  That said, my employer offers a discount for non-smokers which I am happy to take advantage of, but it's MY choice not to smoke and get the discount. I agree that smoking is nasty and dangerous, but currently it is legal. I don't think my employer should be able to make my employment contingent on whether or not I smoke when I am not at work. When others have posted about schools requesting that families not use certain foods or other products because of the possibility of allergens, most of the responses were aghast at the invasion of individual rights.  How is this so different? What comes next? Decreeing you follow a specific diet? Stay within certain weight limitations? Not drink? Let's think twice about giving up rights, even in the name of health and safety.

Meebangu2
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:44 PM

The reason is economics, smokers cost much moe in health care expenses due to the multitude of adverse effects on peoples' health, for example, causing cancer and COPD and greatly increasing the risks of heart attacks and strokes to name a few.  Over time and considering the number of government employees covered, the costs add up to many millions of dollars. 

Quoting omm76002:

Is there a reason they hate smokers? I smoke and it is legal i don't understand how they do this!!

michele115
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:11 AM
When I was a hiring manager I didn't hire smokers because I don't want them taking a bunch of smoke breaks. Plus when things get stressful at the job I don't need them running off because they need a cig to deal.
clanci
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Smokers stink. And smoking doesn't just kill the smoker.

Quoting omm76002:

Is there a reason they hate smokers? I smoke and it is legal i don't understand how they do this!!

omm76002
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:31 AM
You realize not ever tobacco user stinks right? And not every smoker smells like it? I use e-cigs. And there are dippers out there.

Quoting clanci:

Quoting omm76002:

clanci
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Dippers are not smokers. I didn't say EVERY tobacco user stinks; I said "smokers stink" in general. And you, using an e-cig, are not in the generalized population of "smoker".

Quoting omm76002:

You realize not ever tobacco user stinks right? And not every smoker smells like it? I use e-cigs. And there are dippers out there.

Quoting clanci:

Quoting omm76002:

Mackenzie40
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:40 PM

ridiculous but its their right.

eta - Im a non smoker.

marinenonstop
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:44 PM
I think its ridiculous. Ciggs are not illegal. If someone wants to smoke that's their business. Would they also test for alcohol consumption? Its not illegal and alcohol consumption can lead to serious health risks as well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)