Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

want to work for Flagler County Florida?  Dont bother applying if you smoke.  You will be given a blood test as part of the application process and have to sign an affidavit that you wont start!  Random testing will occur as well!

How do you feel about this?  Im not a smoker and i hate the smell but it seems a bit crazy!

by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Replies (41-50):
ProudMommaBear
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:18 PM
Honestly it's ridiculous...
godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:20 PM
Sounds fair to me.
DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:22 PM
They are trying to make it a smoke free world which is also why they keep raising taxes on cigarettes. Little do they know, if yoiur a smoker, you will pay the price to get your fix. They just dont seem to get it. Another way to try and take away yet another right.
DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Your*

Quoting DallasCowboys81:

They are trying to make it a smoke free world which is also why they keep raising taxes on cigarettes. Little do they know, if yoiur a smoker, you will pay the price to get your fix. They just dont seem to get it. Another way to try and take away yet another right.
divinedimension
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel they have a right to choose who they want!

shamroc374
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:31 PM
You cannot determine if a person smokes just because they have wrinkles or a scratchy voice. I know a person that smokes over a pack a day and she has smoked for at least 25 years and you would never know she smokes if you didn't see her smoking or she told you. She also got a job that does not hire smokers. I don't know how she passed the drug test but she did something and passed it. She doesn't smoke at work or before she goes into work. Just at home at night and on the weekends. Some of these people you are passing over may just have a scratchy voice, and have wrinkles from living life. I would imagine that a person that drinks with a straw all the time would have the same chance of forming wrinkles around the mouth as a smoker would since drinking with a straw uses the same mouth muscles as smoking does.

Quoting mjande4:

Keep telling yourself that! I've passed on potential employees more than once because I could see the lines around the mouth/scratchy voice, etc. All other things being equal, the nonsmoker is going to get picked every time.

Quoting momdoes:

This is the arguement at hand.....a company drawing your blood to screen for nicotine and then denying employment based on results!

And no, a non smoker is not psychic. LOL....I am a nursing student who smokes (ecig) and none of my instructors or classmates, patients or drs know I do! There is no smell. No yellowing of fingers or teeth. NOTHING to alert that I smoke. In fact, when I confess that I do smoke, I am greeted with alot of NO! I never would have guessed!

Quoting mjande4:

One doesn't need to draw blood to know if someone smokes. Lol Maybe it's not as obvious to a smoker, but trust me when I say non smokers can spot a smoker a mike away WITHOUT a cigarette in hand.

Quoting momdoes:

Cant draw your blood without a signed consent and inform first. I never put on an app that I smoke. Its none of any ones business if I do or not.

Quoting mjande4:

I would say that this county in Florida is doing smokers a favor by telling them up front. Most employers won't tell you in the interview, they just won't hire you.

Quoting momdoes:

I get that. I have heard it before but answer this!

Why will the health insurance gripe matter when Obamacare goes into effect? HUM. MORE employers will be taking away hrs from workers so they do not have to provide the ins. (lost production could happen there, if not make an entire company fall, esp small ones) Lost production how? I am assuming because people contract the flu, common cold virus and other viruses. Smoking has no effect on that seeing as the healthiest of people contract viruses as well. Lost production due to those who develope cancer from smoking? Hum, yea maybe but I think there may be MORE people (baby boomers esp) RETIRING at far more numbers than those who must quit work due to cancer in a given year.
 And what about obese or diabetic employees? Should  employers screen your weight as well and base employment off that? Diabetics can cost employers alot in ins and lost production and time as well, esp those who refuse to care for themselves. What about breastfeeding moms who must leave the floor to go pump? Lost production there. Hell, getting pregnant period= lost production! Must we also prove contraceptive use? And that cost the company too!

WHERE DOES THE LINE DRAW?

Quoting mjande4:

I did a finance lesson with my high schoolers on this.  Smokers cost employers an average of $6000 more than a nonsmoker in lost production and health insurance costs.

Quoting omm76002:

Is there a reason they hate smokers? I smoke and it is legal i don't understand how they do this!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amybelle
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

You'RE*

Quoting DallasCowboys81:

Your*

Quoting DallasCowboys81:

KellBell0820
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:40 PM
That does seem kind of crazy. I know plenty of places will tell you that you have to go to the sidewalk or in your car to smoke (my workplace being one of them) but testing? Then again my workplace doesn't drug test either ... So maybe it's more normal than I think.
shamroc374
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:42 PM
4 moms liked this
Smoking is legal, the same as alcohol. Employers do not have a no hire policy if a person drinks alcohol in their free time. They should not have any day what you do in your free time. I can understand an employer having a no smoking on company time or property policy and letting a person go if they did, the same as if they were drinking while at work.
My sister is an oncology nurse. She has told me that some people can smoke 2 packs a day all their life and never get cancer while other people can live a very healthy lifestyle and get cancer. She said that certain people are just pre-disposed to get cancer.
Should employers also have the right to a person's family history and not hire them because cancer runs in their family and there is a risk that the employee will get cancer and cost the company money? Where do we draw the line on what employers can use to deny a person employment? This can open the flood gates to employers using anything and everything to deny employment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa :) on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:48 PM

i think thats a great idea! smoking is soooo bad for you! (i'm an ex-smoker)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)