Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Fish tank help!!

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:15 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hey ladie!!! im in need of some advice!!  Hubby aned I decided to do a fish take for our daugher Bday present in oct!!!  we found a used 46 gallon!!!! with stand!! curved front!! hubby washed it replaced top and it looks awsome!!  Were really excited...or at least i was...not so much now.  The plan is we get a large community fish (glo fish is what we want)and then each person gets a special fish!!  Our daugher is getting a koi angel. Our son is getting a Blue Angel.  Hubby is undecided. 

Unfortintly The ones I like and one that i was dreaminga bout he was so cool just wont work. and im so sad!!  See for me..mallys tetras those are dull...boring.  The 3 i wanted SOOO badly are

Prehistoric Dragon Goby!!! OMG this one i just ell in love!!!! still cnat stop thinkinga bout it!! But it needs more salty water then regular fish

Bala shark!!! I LOVE there look there so awsome!! but they can get big (no prob due to tank size) but they also require (or so iv read)  a school of 3 or more..and taht be all we could get.

EELS!!!  any kind of eetl I love the tire tred eel or the peacock eel.  But they can get big and HUGE change they will eat the little ones.

SO im asking for advice, suggestions and own experinces.  I was thinking of a pink rainbow i found but i dont like it as much as the bala. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+888+1081&pcatid=1081or i was thinking the red fin looks kidna cool to. anyway suggest away. tell me about yorus!! suggest one i might like...o i loved the look of the discuss but they are aggressive i also liked the demasoni cichlid but it probably wont work eihter or so i read....all the info online and what pet store sales man is all diffrent!!! 

CafeMom Tickers

by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Texascandee
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Don't know how much help I will be but we have a 55 gallon fresh water tank and we have tropicals that all get along.  There are so many tropical fresh water that are pretty, look around a bit and hopefully you will find something you like.   I couldn't even tell you what kind we have in there besides a catfish, tetras, dalmation guppies and who knows what else.

Maybe you could get you a smaller salt water tank and put what you want in it?  Just a thought

KittyTussand
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:28 AM

no one else has any thoughts?

Pnukey
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:53 PM

We tried fish. They all died, multiple times. We've got 3 turtles in our 50 gallon tank. They're much heartier.

Zirallan
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

If you get a shark, get ONE shark. They're extremely teritorial with each other but should leave your other schooling fish alone. I had a red fin for a while and he was quite pretty, active, but calm enough not to go around spooking other fish.

Peacock eels are EXTREMELY hard to care for. They get fungal infections very easily (mine had 3 in 6 months and it had nothing to do with my care of the tank, they get the slightest scratch and they get fungal infections). They are very picky eaters and require special foods (starvation is the #1 killer of peacocks). They're great at getting out of the tiniest crack in the hood of the tank. Peacock eels are not for the feignt of heart and they tend to be burrowed most of the time so you don't even get to see the little buggers much to start with.

Bala sharks get to 1' or more in length. Your little 46 gallon tank isn't anywhere big enough for one of them and whoever told you they need to school in a group of 3 is sadly mistaken. They need a group of 6, preferably more. They are extremely nervous fish and are prone to jumping out. They're also strong fish and a weighted hood is a must or the first time something spooks one, especially in that small of a tank, they'll be right out on your floor. You might think that 46 gallon is big but in reality, it's a tiny, tiny little thing in the world of fish keeping.

Dragon gobys are unfortunately commonly sold as fresh water fish.. You're right that they're not. They're brackish and will die slowly if kept in fresh water. Also, look at the size of the mouth. ANY fish will eat any other fish that will fit in its mouth. I actually recently bought some catfish solely for the purpose of munching my guppy population..

Go for one of the sharks. The redtail or the rainbow (one or the other, not both. They'll fight to the death.) should be a decent fit for what you're describing. Personally, in a tank that's mainly comprised of glo-fish, I think I'd go for the redtail, but that's just my personal preference. Either one of them is going to be fairly accepting of any food (but will require one that sinks, shrimp pellets would be a good choice) and shouldn't be prone to nipping. Make sure it has a cave or something to stake out as its personal home.

For the record, I've got 6 tanks of various sizes. They're a bit of a passion of mine..

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Do you want fresh or salt water fish?  That would be the place to start.  Check out the local pet stores to see what they would recommened.

KittyTussand
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:47 PM

were dong fresh water.  all the ones i picked/wanted are fresh. Except the dragon goby its marked as fresh but it actually needs brackish water.

Quoting ScrChk23:

Do you want fresh or salt water fish?  That would be the place to start.  Check out the local pet stores to see what they would recommened.

CafeMom Tickers

KittyTussand
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:48 PM

thanks! hubby was joking about getting my own aquarium but i think we will stick to one. Im really leaing twords rainbow or red fin shark.  based on what another poster replied might be a great choice~!

Quoting Texascandee:

Don't know how much help I will be but we have a 55 gallon fresh water tank and we have tropicals that all get along.  There are so many tropical fresh water that are pretty, look around a bit and hopefully you will find something you like.   I couldn't even tell you what kind we have in there besides a catfish, tetras, dalmation guppies and who knows what else.

Maybe you could get you a smaller salt water tank and put what you want in it?  Just a thought

CafeMom Tickers

KittyTussand
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

if fish dont work thats exactly what i plan to do! i love turtles.  But this is for my daughter so gonna try fish first!

Quoting Pnukey:

We tried fish. They all died, multiple times. We've got 3 turtles in our 50 gallon tank. They're much heartier.

CafeMom Tickers

KittyTussand
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:52 PM

THANKS SO MUCH!! THIS IS GREAT!! im definitly leaning twords the red fin or the rainbow now!!  hubby think the pink rainbow i found isnt gonna be easy to find but if thats the case no big i will get a regular one!  I have lots of ideas for caves for it!  and were gonna get some plants for it to hide in to.  SO excited thanks!!  If ya dont mind hubby would like to ask if you know the Kulhi Loaches?  he thinks it miht be one he might like.  His like list is a mile long LOL so im sure we can do something.  but he is curius if the loach will go with the shark.

Quoting Zirallan:

If you get a shark, get ONE shark. They're extremely teritorial with each other but should leave your other schooling fish alone. I had a red fin for a while and he was quite pretty, active, but calm enough not to go around spooking other fish.

Peacock eels are EXTREMELY hard to care for. They get fungal infections very easily (mine had 3 in 6 months and it had nothing to do with my care of the tank, they get the slightest scratch and they get fungal infections). They are very picky eaters and require special foods (starvation is the #1 killer of peacocks). They're great at getting out of the tiniest crack in the hood of the tank. Peacock eels are not for the feignt of heart and they tend to be burrowed most of the time so you don't even get to see the little buggers much to start with.

Bala sharks get to 1' or more in length. Your little 46 gallon tank isn't anywhere big enough for one of them and whoever told you they need to school in a group of 3 is sadly mistaken. They need a group of 6, preferably more. They are extremely nervous fish and are prone to jumping out. They're also strong fish and a weighted hood is a must or the first time something spooks one, especially in that small of a tank, they'll be right out on your floor. You might think that 46 gallon is big but in reality, it's a tiny, tiny little thing in the world of fish keeping.

Dragon gobys are unfortunately commonly sold as fresh water fish.. You're right that they're not. They're brackish and will die slowly if kept in fresh water. Also, look at the size of the mouth. ANY fish will eat any other fish that will fit in its mouth. I actually recently bought some catfish solely for the purpose of munching my guppy population..

Go for one of the sharks. The redtail or the rainbow (one or the other, not both. They'll fight to the death.) should be a decent fit for what you're describing. Personally, in a tank that's mainly comprised of glo-fish, I think I'd go for the redtail, but that's just my personal preference. Either one of them is going to be fairly accepting of any food (but will require one that sinks, shrimp pellets would be a good choice) and shouldn't be prone to nipping. Make sure it has a cave or something to stake out as its personal home.

For the record, I've got 6 tanks of various sizes. They're a bit of a passion of mine..

CafeMom Tickers

Zirallan
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Khuli loaches are generally sweet little things. They should be kept in groups, they hide a lot but can be playful when kept in propper groups. They're bottom dwellers and generally peaceful and will need sinking food. They SHOULD get along with the shark that you're looking at but occasionally you get a loach that's just a bit of a bully. I don't think that's common in khulis though. There's also a black version you could take a look at. Do keep in mind though that a single khuli loach isn't going to be a happy fish, will be likely to hide a lot (you may never see it) and may well stress itself to death in the long run.

Quoting KittyTussand:

THANKS SO MUCH!! THIS IS GREAT!! im definitly leaning twords the red fin or the rainbow now!!  hubby think the pink rainbow i found isnt gonna be easy to find but if thats the case no big i will get a regular one!  I have lots of ideas for caves for it!  and were gonna get some plants for it to hide in to.  SO excited thanks!!  If ya dont mind hubby would like to ask if you know the Kulhi Loaches?  he thinks it miht be one he might like.  His like list is a mile long LOL so im sure we can do something.  but he is curius if the loach will go with the shark.

Quoting Zirallan:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)