Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How young is too young???

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 6:52 PM
  • 75 Replies
1 mom liked this
I have 2 questions I would love some input on...
1.) My husband and I are all about protecting our children. One way we plan on doing so is teaching them survival and self defence skills. I have been starting a survival guide for all of them. In which it gives you information on everything from making shelter to finding water, building traps for food and edible and poisonous plants. We plan on starting to train them on survival skills by their 6th birthdays. And starting self defense training between the ages of 10-12 based on their maturity and ability to control their tempers. Is this too soon for self defense training?
2.) Also my husband qnd I are avid gchangesectors and firm believers in our second ammendment rights. We are teaching our children not to play with guns and not to touch a gun now and we have themm locked up and unloaded at all times to keep them from being able to accidentally get a hold of a gun. But we are planning on giving them weapons training between tbe ages of 14-16 also based on their maturity level and discipline. We will start off strictly with gun and weapon safety and move forward from there. They will not have their own gun until they are 18 and that will be
a rifle they will nit have a pistol until they can buy their own at 21 (unless the law
changes) is this too young to begin weapons training?
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaryIsbell
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 6:58 PM
I ment to say gun collectors. And also I mwmt to say 16 for the rifle
MrsApple
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:01 PM

My husband and I are also gun owners.We've taught our daughter (now almost 7) about gun safety since she was about 3 and she will be allowed to learn how to shoot as soon as she is ready (she says she doesn't want to yet).We keep our guns in a gun safe.

lmjess
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:01 PM

My son learned gun safety in Cub Scouts. He was 7 years old. And, a lot of parents start karate a lot younger too. I view karate as a self defense class. I think it's great for building confidence and self-control.

AJsMom81507
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:03 PM

karate i would say around the age of 3 or 4 (thats when DS started)

as for guns, if your a gun user start them now.

AMRios
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Not to young for gun training but to crazy for survival... Teach them about defending themselves from zombies while you are at it! Do people still think the world is coming to an end??

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I think that you can start martial arts/self defense as young as 5 yrs old and it could actually teach them the discipline of controlling anger or temper.

MaryIsbell
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:12 PM
I agree with that. I will be talking to my husband about starting our older children on more detailed gun safety. Our youngest is only 5 months but we have alredy told out 3, 4 &5 year olds not to mess with guns because they are dangerous and could hurt them or someone else

Quoting MrsApple:

My husband and I are also gun owners.We've taught our daughter (now almost 7) about gun safety since she was about 3 and she will be allowed to learn how to shoot as soon as she is ready (she says she doesn't want to yet).We keep our guns in a gun safe.

MaryIsbell
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:16 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm not only thinking about appocoliptic situations. Thats very unlikey. But what if they get lost in the woods or are in any kind of accident and they have to survive until they can be found? I don't ever expect them to be away from me or their father until they are much older but i believe it would be best to start them as early as possible. It's best for such skills to be second nature so that they do not get into the situation and not know what to do withoyt their guide.

Quoting AMRios:

Not to young for gun training but to crazy for survival... Teach them about defending themselves from zombies while you are at it! Do people still think the world is coming to an end??

MaryIsbell
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:20 PM
I was about 4 myself In karate but we will be teaching them ourselves. Our 3 & 5 year olds fight right now and we are worried about them hurting each other

Quoting AJsMom81507:

karate i would say around the age of 3 or 4 (thats when DS started)

as for guns, if your a gun user start them now.

Rooobeee
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this

First of all, I will say that I'm not an avid fan of guns. However, I am glad that you and your husband are looking to teach your kids everything they need to know about the weapons. I have heard of kids as young as 12-13 being taught how to use a gun and to me, that seems to be a little too young. I do think that 14-16 is a good time to start since you are basing it on their maturity levels. It seems that for gun lovers, you and your husband are taking the right approach with your children.

As far as self-defense, for most kids, the younger the better. I do know that my own brother was about 11 when my mother put him in a martial arts class. The class actually helped him with his anger and temper and gave him the discipline he needed to get through life. He became a better person to be around.

So, if I were you, I would start martial arts as soon as you are able to (and if the kids are interested), and actual weapon training when they are in high school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)