Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
I have 2 questions I would love some input on...
1.) My husband and I are all about protecting our children. One way we plan on doing so is teaching them survival and self defence skills. I have been starting a survival guide for all of them. In which it gives you information on everything from making shelter to finding water, building traps for food and edible and poisonous plants. We plan on starting to train them on survival skills by their 6th birthdays. And starting self defense training between the ages of 10-12 based on their maturity and ability to control their tempers. Is this too soon for self defense training?
2.) Also my husband qnd I are avid gchangesectors and firm believers in our second ammendment rights. We are teaching our children not to play with guns and not to touch a gun now and we have themm locked up and unloaded at all times to keep them from being able to accidentally get a hold of a gun. But we are planning on giving them weapons training between tbe ages of 14-16 also based on their maturity level and discipline. We will start off strictly with gun and weapon safety and move forward from there. They will not have their own gun until they are 18 and that will be
a rifle they will nit have a pistol until they can buy their own at 21 (unless the law
changes) is this too young to begin weapons training?
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Replies (21-30):
MaryIsbell
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:47 AM
Maybe in a big city but not so much in the country. Even in a big city. Knowledge is power. Being knowlegeable in things other than dady to day life can come in handy in an emergency.

Quoting jakesmom323:

Yeah. I'm sorry, but that is super dorky and crazy where I come from.

Cmgmqmmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:51 AM
Not a big gun fan here, but at least you're teaching your kids how to be safe. We don't own them and we don't allow our kids in homes that have them either, but on the chance they're ever around one they know they aren't toys.
As far as survival, we live in the suburbs. Not very likely they're going to need it.
Udella
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:53 AM

While I am not a proponent of guns, I do appreciate that you are responsible gun owners and are teaching your children. I don;t think any age is too young - obviously each age group whould have age appropriate rules.

With regard to survival skills - perhaps this type of training is appropriate for where you live? I personally live in a city, hate camping and frankly you couldn;t pay me to do it :) I am concerned though that you somehow feel this is necessary?

Can't go wrong with self defense as long as you're not teaching your children to be aggressive.

RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Sep. 9, 2013 at 7:25 AM
2 moms liked this

We plan to get DD her first cross bow/compound bow when she turns 12, and allowing her to hunt with DH as soon as she shows she can handle it. Guns will be at 16 (that goes for both kids). We are hunters, and keep guns(unloaded) in the house. We begin teaching our children gun safety as soon as they are old enough to understand(and we teach it on their level), usually around 3. We do not teach them how to handle guns that early, rather, what they are, they know what guns can do, and the difference between their play guns and real guns. (yes, we allow them to play with play guns, they go "hunting" in our back yard. They also have wooden swords and shields that they play with)

As far as survival skills, yep, my kids will learn them! However, that is part of the Rangers curriculum that DH teaches(he is a Royal Rangers leader). He is also former Army, and taught Cival Air Patrol for a few years. Basic survival skills are for more than "end of the world" planning. What if they get seperated from us while camping? What if, when they are older, they go hiking and something happens? They need to know how to survive should something like that happen.

sunpeaches1
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:04 AM
I think weaponry & gun training is all based on maturity & understanding. My sis & I were taught to handle & shoot at 11 & 12, however we were forced to mature overnight & needed to learn defense immediately. It was during the aftermath of hurricane andrew in homestead fla where our world was changed immediately & looters, death & destruction was everywhere. Desperate people did desperate things & there were those who took advantage of the situation. It was only my mama, sister & myself... it was necessary. However, when it comes time for my boys, it will be based on maturity & understanding. 1 of their grandpa's is a collector & enthusist of guns, plus he's also an ffl dealer. Other grandpa & daddy are hunters & gun nuts. So my boys have been exposed & understand these are weapons that cause death & so give a respectful distance. When it comes time they will start going hunting w daddy & grandpa, but not till they're ready. My oldest is adhd & behind on maturity level so I'm sure it won't be till he's into his teens before time comes...
sunpeaches1
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Yes, they do. I just moved outa state & went on meetup.com looking to meet new people. Unfortunately there are only 5 groups in my area, none for mothers of young chuldren or any other *group* that I would belong to. 1 of these groups were *preppers*. Didn't know what it meant so looked into group description & its people prepping to be self sufficient in the event of apocalyptic event or anarchy...

Quoting AMRios:

Not to young for gun training but to crazy for survival... Teach them about defending themselves from zombies while you are at it! Do people still think the world is coming to an end??

Autumn19
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Ds started guns at 5. He wears protective ear covers when shooting and he will be 7 in jan.
Autumn19
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:15 AM
I should add ds was 6 when he started hunting rabbits. I have a strick rule of we only kill animals to eat not for fun.
Fullhouse1168
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Ds shot a 22 at three. He is allowed to shoot anytime he asks so the curiosity isn't there. One of dhs friend's left a gun outside once and ds knows not to touch without an adult so he came and got me. Could of been bad if we hadn't taught gun safety. Ds. Is 8 now. He owns knives, bows, BB guns, and 22. We practice with all of them. Unfortunately the world we live in is scary. I want ds to know survival skills. We do joke it's zombie training :)
MaryIsbell
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:05 AM
It's a precautionary measure. I know that with my husband and I having a passion for nature and the like that there is a possibility that they will share our passion and you can never know too much about survival. Also we live in alabama which in many parts is rural or wooded area. We also may decide to travel and where we would go would not be a comercialized area.

Quoting Udella:

While I am not a proponent of guns, I do appreciate that you are responsible gun owners and are teaching your children. I don;t think any age is too young - obviously each age group whould have age appropriate rules.

With regard to survival skills - perhaps this type of training is appropriate for where you live? I personally live in a city, hate camping and frankly you couldn;t pay me to do it :) I am concerned though that you somehow feel this is necessary?

Can't go wrong with self defense as long as you're not teaching your children to be aggressive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)