Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
I have 2 questions I would love some input on...
1.) My husband and I are all about protecting our children. One way we plan on doing so is teaching them survival and self defence skills. I have been starting a survival guide for all of them. In which it gives you information on everything from making shelter to finding water, building traps for food and edible and poisonous plants. We plan on starting to train them on survival skills by their 6th birthdays. And starting self defense training between the ages of 10-12 based on their maturity and ability to control their tempers. Is this too soon for self defense training?
2.) Also my husband qnd I are avid gchangesectors and firm believers in our second ammendment rights. We are teaching our children not to play with guns and not to touch a gun now and we have themm locked up and unloaded at all times to keep them from being able to accidentally get a hold of a gun. But we are planning on giving them weapons training between tbe ages of 14-16 also based on their maturity level and discipline. We will start off strictly with gun and weapon safety and move forward from there. They will not have their own gun until they are 18 and that will be
a rifle they will nit have a pistol until they can buy their own at 21 (unless the law
changes) is this too young to begin weapons training?
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Replies (31-40):
MaryIsbell
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:07 AM
EXACTLY!!!

Quoting RheaF:

We plan to get DD her first cross bow/compound bow when she turns 12, and allowing her to hunt with DH as soon as she shows she can handle it. Guns will be at 16 (that goes for both kids). We are hunters, and keep guns(unloaded) in the house. We begin teaching our children gun safety as soon as they are old enough to understand(and we teach it on their level), usually around 3. We do not teach them how to handle guns that early, rather, what they are, they know what guns can do, and the difference between their play guns and real guns. (yes, we allow them to play with play guns, they go "hunting" in our back yard. They also have wooden swords and shields that they play with)

As far as survival skills, yep, my kids will learn them! However, that is part of the Rangers curriculum that DH teaches(he is a Royal Rangers leader). He is also former Army, and taught Cival Air Patrol for a few years. Basic survival skills are for more than "end of the world" planning. What if they get seperated from us while camping? What if, when they are older, they go hiking and something happens? They need to know how to survive should something like that happen.

MaryIsbell
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Saying it's zombie training is a good way to make it fun for the kids. Nothing wrong with that.

Quoting Fullhouse1168:

Ds shot a 22 at three. He is allowed to shoot anytime he asks so the curiosity isn't there. One of dhs friend's left a gun outside once and ds knows not to touch without an adult so he came and got me. Could of been bad if we hadn't taught gun safety. Ds. Is 8 now. He owns knives, bows, BB guns, and 22. We practice with all of them. Unfortunately the world we live in is scary. I want ds to know survival skills. We do joke it's zombie training :)

housewifehell
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I think its great to plan this kind of stuff to teach your kids more people should know these things.

We are planning to start martial arts classes with ours in the next year or so. 

When it comes to guns we teach that you never point a gun at anything you don't intend to eat and guns are not toys. They do not get "toy guns" for that reason and we have told them if you ever find a gun do not touch it go find an adult and tell them about it immediately.  My kids are 2 and 3 and they comprehend these things well.  We live in the middle of no where so the gun comes out quite often to get the dog to come back or scare off the coyotes or other dogs but DH does take my son (while DD naps and I am home) and has started teaching him about the pellet gun and puts him in his lap and shows him how to aim and shoot targets.  At first I thought oh this is way too young for this but then after seeing how much my son understands I knew this was the right time to begin.  I remember being 4 sitting in my dads lap with the bb gun shooting the puddles that formed in the rain outside our front door so I figure its not really any different. 

Good luck with your training I think Its great you are doing this.

WifeMomStudent
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:13 AM
This is a perfect example of needing to know survival skills no matter where you live

Quoting sunpeaches1:

I think weaponry & gun training is all based on maturity & understanding. My sis & I were taught to handle & shoot at 11 & 12, however we were forced to mature overnight & needed to learn defense immediately. It was during the aftermath of hurricane andrew in homestead fla where our world was changed immediately & looters, death & destruction was everywhere. Desperate people did desperate things & there were those who took advantage of the situation. It was only my mama, sister & myself... it was necessary. However, when it comes time for my boys, it will be based on maturity & understanding. 1 of their grandpa's is a collector & enthusist of guns, plus he's also an ffl dealer. Other grandpa & daddy are hunters & gun nuts. So my boys have been exposed & understand these are weapons that cause death & so give a respectful distance. When it comes time they will start going hunting w daddy & grandpa, but not till they're ready. My oldest is adhd & behind on maturity level so I'm sure it won't be till he's into his teens before time comes...

MaryIsbell
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Yes it is. You can't predict what will happen. We had a huge outbreak of tornados here a couple yrs ago luckily it didn't directly hit us but cities and towns all over alabama were greatly damaged and of it had hot here and people took a turn for the worst I wouldn't have been prepared. I only started learning survival, self defense and weapons training about a yr ago. The steady increase in natural disasters and insane behavior of people really opened my eyes. I had to stop thinking it could never happen here or to someone I love. Another reason for self defense training is so that if they are threatned or assaulted in any way by anyone they can defend themselves. With 5 kids a parent can't be 5 places at once. My maon concern is when they get older but like I saod in an earlier post it's best to start early so that they don't hesitate or freeze up if in a bad situation because that split second could make all the difference.

Quoting WifeMomStudent:

This is a perfect example of needing to know survival skills no matter where you live

Quoting sunpeaches1:

I think weaponry & gun training is all based on maturity & understanding. My sis & I were taught to handle & shoot at 11 & 12, however we were forced to mature overnight & needed to learn defense immediately. It was during the aftermath of hurricane andrew in homestead fla where our world was changed immediately & looters, death & destruction was everywhere. Desperate people did desperate things & there were those who took advantage of the situation. It was only my mama, sister & myself... it was necessary. However, when it comes time for my boys, it will be based on maturity & understanding. 1 of their grandpa's is a collector & enthusist of guns, plus he's also an ffl dealer. Other grandpa & daddy are hunters & gun nuts. So my boys have been exposed & understand these are weapons that cause death & so give a respectful distance. When it comes time they will start going hunting w daddy & grandpa, but not till they're ready. My oldest is adhd & behind on maturity level so I'm sure it won't be till he's into his teens before time comes...

Kriskash25
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Nope not at all, and honestly I'm not a big gun supporter; I was surprised at my response to tell you the truth! lol

M0M0F03
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Our 8 year old hunts, so I would never wait that long to teach about guns. I believe if they are in your home, teaching sooner rather than later is better.

MandaMom23
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like a tough situation having to deal with the aftermath of the hurricane.  I'm sure the instability forced you to grow up quick.  I agree with you on people needing to have a level of maturity and understanding before they learn about weapons.  Heck a lot of adults don't even show maturity or act responsibility.  I think it is important for kids to learn about gun safety and being responsible gun owners.  They can make a decision in their future on how they want to pursue it.

Quoting sunpeaches1:

RADmomma
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:26 PM
I think that's a great start, make sure that on top of your survival books... You show them & teach them first hand how to start a fire, go for a hike & compare edible plants!!! Hands in learning sinks in better for most kids than just reading it!! I'm sure you plan too but that's my 2 cents!
MaryIsbell
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes we do plan on doing hands on learning. We also are thinking about either taking real life photos or having leaves and flowers of such plants laminated and put into the books.

Quoting RADmomma:

I think that's a great start, make sure that on top of your survival books... You show them & teach them first hand how to start a fire, go for a hike & compare edible plants!!! Hands in learning sinks in better for most kids than just reading it!! I'm sure you plan too but that's my 2 cents!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)