Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If the school warns on a permission slip that it's not responsible for injury/death, would you sign?

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:13 AM
  • 14 Replies

School Warns Parents It's Not Responsible for Their Kids During Field Trips

by Jeanne Sager 

school busWhen you sign a permission slip for your child to go on a field trip, you expect it to be pretty simple. Generally, you're giving your OK for your kid to ride a bus somewhere fun. Who wouldn't sign that? How about if the permission slip expected you to let the school off the hook if something bad happened to your kid?

Would you want to sign that slip? Parents in the St. Louis Park School District are weighing that one right now. After a tragic landslide killed two fourth graders during a school fossil hunting field trip last school year, the district is looking to protect itself.

So they sent home a permission slip to parents this year that states:

We understand the arrangements described above and believe the necessary precautions and plans for the care and supervision of students during the field trip will be taken. Beyond this we will not hold the school or those supervising the trip responsible.

So, basically the school is saying "your kids COULD die on our field trip, but don't sue us because we're really not responsible!" How ... comforting?

Every time your kid leaves your sight, you have to know something could go wrong. I don't mean to sound like a cynic here, but that's life.

The bus could crash. They could develop a sudden deadly allergy to bee stings. The ceiling could cave in.

I could continue to list the things that could go wrong, but really, why work ourselves up? We know it could happen, but part of being a mom is knowing that we have to suck it up and risk it if we want our kids to live full lives. We can't put kids in bubbles.

Still, with all that said, we should be able to send our kids to school activities with at least some sense that they'll be OK, that the school has their best interests at heart. A permission slip like this does the opposite. It tells the parents that the school cares about its bottom line first, the kids second.

I don't know that I could sign a permission slip like this.

I don't care about suing a school, frankly. I know it happens, and that not all parents are greedy. Sometimes it's just about paying medical bills that become a burden. Still, if something horrible happened to my child, that would be the last thing on my mind. But I do want to know that a school cares about my kid.

Would you sign this permission slip? What's the scariest thing you've seen written on a permission slip?

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsunshine77
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:18 AM

depends on the field trip. 

SuperJo
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

No, I would not sign. My school-aged children are in Elementary. By not allowing me to spend all day at the school to supervise my children, the school is assuming full responsibility for them.

kdgord
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:25 AM
I'm pretty sure that is fairly standard for permission slips for field trips. My boys go to a small private school and I know their slips say that the students will be driven by a licenced and insured driver and that we will not hold them responsible in case of an accident. I sign them everyone and so do all the other parents. I also usually drive for the field trips but even if I didn't I would sign the slips.
susannah2000
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Quoting SuperJo:

No, I would not sign. My school-aged children are in Elementary. By not allowing me to spend all day at the school to supervise my children, the school is assuming full responsibility for them.

Or, you could bubble wrap your overprotected kids and never let them leave the house. BTW, things can happen even if you were standing next to them. You can't protect them from living.
SuperJo
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting SuperJo:

Or, you could bubble wrap your overprotected kids and never let them leave the house. BTW, things can happen even if you were standing next to them. You can't protect them from living.

I am just the right amount of protective of my children. I will not allow the school to absolve themselves the responsibility of my children. No mother would. If they're worried a child might be injured or die somehow, that's a trip they shouldn't be going on. Common sense.
Btw, don't condescend to me like I'm a new mother. I have been one for nine years. Not only that, I'm 30 years old. I'm fully aware that shit happens. However, many times it can be prevented.

susannah2000
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Quoting SuperJo:

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting SuperJo:

I am just the right amount of protective of my children. I will not allow the school to absolve themselves the responsibility of my children. No mother would. If they're worried a child might be injured or die somehow, that's a trip they shouldn't be going on. Common sense.
Btw, don't condescend to me like I'm a new mother. I have been one for nine years. Not only that, I'm 30 years old. I'm fully aware that shit happens. However, many times it can be prevented.

Yes, and so how many accidents have befallen the students at your kids' school on field trips? How many kids have become injured or died on field trips? What evidence do you have that the teachers and staff are not doing everything they can to protect the children in their care on field trips? Apparently other mothers WOULD, since they allow their children to go on the trips. I assume they all have returned home in one piece. YOU are overprotective and a smothering parent. Not letting your child leave your side, because something MIGHT happen, is just asinine.
terpmama
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Are you also one of those people that isn't an organ donaor because "then they won't work as hard to save me, they'll just let me die so they can have my organs".... People?

Quoting SuperJo:

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting SuperJo:

SuperJo
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting SuperJo:

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting SuperJo:

Yes, and so how many accidents have befallen the students at your kids' school on field trips? How many kids have become injured or died on field trips? What evidence do you have that the teachers and staff are not doing everything they can to protect the children in their care on field trips? Apparently other mothers WOULD, since they allow their children to go on the trips. I assume they all have returned home in one piece. YOU are overprotective and a smothering parent. Not letting your child leave your side, because something MIGHT happen, is just asinine.

You assume you know me when you, clearly, do not. The evidence presents itself every time a child anywhere in this world is abducted. The evidence presents itself each time a child's life is taken by a stupid, wreckless person.
I refuse to let that be my children. I will NOT take my childrens' lives for granted. I will not take life for granted, in general.
Really, I don't care what you think. You opinion means absolutely nothing to me. It's not going to change me, or how I conduct my family life. Spare yourself the aggravation.

SuperJo
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Quoting terpmama:

Are you also one of those people that isn't an organ donaor because "then they won't work as hard to save me, they'll just let me die so they can have my organs".... People?

Quoting SuperJo:

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting SuperJo:

Nope, I'm an organ donor. Anything that's worth much should go to someone who needs it when I'm dead. I obviously won't be using it anymore.

wiener
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:57 AM

yes i would sign it, only because i know the schools would not purposely put my child in danger.  my child is no more in danger on a school field trip to a park or zoo then they would be with just me.  and if something did happen i would not turn around and sue the school either,  plus I have been to lillydale park were these two 4th graders died in the landslide, i was thier when i was in 6th grade doing the same thing they were doing,  fossil hunting..  their was nothing that could have been done to prevent this tragic accident . they were on the trail and it just gave away. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN