Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Working while pregnant

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:46 AM
  • 19 Replies
So I'm 18 weeks and 4 days pregnant and I work as a maid. It's very physical and for the most part I try to avoid most cleaning chemicals. It's been pretty exhausting at times, I'm just curious if other moms out there had physical jobs that put strain on the body while pregnant and if it had any negative effects on you/baby and for how long did you work till.
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I worked full time until the end of the school year last year.  I was about 4 months along at the end of the year.  I am a teacher for kids in special ed.  I work with violent kids and have to occasionally restrain a child.  I work with 7th graders so some are quite large.  I did not have any issues.  Im 30 weeks now and I substitute teach.  I have no issues but Im not working with chemicals. 

SerenityRose
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I worked full time until the day before I gave birth. And right back 2 weeks after she was born. We were both really healthy and did great!
SerenityRose
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Just do what you feel is right. Every woman and each pregnancy is different.
Mechanical
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Well this is not the same but I went to school while pregnant. It was a large school and I had to do a lot of walking. It was a bit painful and a strain but most Drs would say don't cut back completely because your body is used to it. Maybe not so much heavy lifting and taking things a bit slow but you should be fine if you do not push to hard. Do you get to chose what chemicals you use? There are some more nature based cleaning products that are safer to breath in. Good luck

Germany72
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

With my first one I was pregnant while still living in Germany and  I worked as a Nurse. The beauty of Germany is, you work until 6 weeks prior to due date then you are on PAID maternity leave. And you are allowed to stay home 3 YEARS past delivery !!!!! Paid by government. (it's not welfare, every new mom gets it...poor or rich) 

megz0511
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I worked full time 5a-2p as the pricing person at Lowes. Up and down ladders and on my feet all day. I worked until 1 week before my due date, I woukd have worked longer but I was worried that the bathroom was too far when I had to pee lol. And we were moving too, we actually moved out the last of our stuff 2 days after my due date lol. Went into labor the next day
SnapIt
by Movin' on up on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Hairdresser
Worked all through my 9 mths with both kids
On my feet all day 10-8pm
Around all kinds of chemicals for hair and nails

Kids came out perfect, no issues, no allergies, nothing

I also went back to work within a wk and both were c-sec babies

Everyone is different
WillVon
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:01 PM
My sil has 3 jobs that she's worked til now (she's 41weeks pregnant). Tae kwon doh, six flags, and stake n shake.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lesalmi
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:03 PM
I'm a CNA, have been for 7 years. I worked up until 2 weeks until I had my dd, no issues. I am 23 weeks and still working normally and plan to until just before xmas
Mommynwife26
by Brianna on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I worked front desk at a hotel, 12hr days 5-6 days a week on my feet for most of that time and walking, bending, lifting etc till 5 days before I had my youngest. I didn't have that many issues. There was a point I had LOW blood pressure but that wasn't from working besides that I had no issues with my pregnancy. It did help me keep my weight down though, I only gained 19lbs and she was 9lbs at birth I actually left the hospital 5lbs less than what I started at and I did NOT watch what I ate AT all cause I craved all things bad lol. I had a way easier birth then with my first too who I only worked till 6mths with. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)