Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Worth it?

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:00 AM
  • 10 Replies
So my husband is takin a new job that is 3 1/2 hours away from where we r now. I have a great job here, but we both feel this is probably the best move for our family. The cost of moving that far is soooo much. We have talked about him moving up there and then my kids and I staying with my parents for 2-4 weeks while he finds a place there and gets settled into his new job. That way we don't have to make 4 or 5 trips in the next couple weeks before he starts this job. My boys go to newton currently. Movin in with my parents will switch them to saydel and then they will switch again when we move. Is it worth it to enroll them at my parents place for just 2-4 weeks??
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I would talk to the schools about what you should be doing.  There are legal issues with not having a kid in school for 4 weeks.  I find it shocking that you would make this sort of move during the school year.  It should have been done a month ago. 

sunpeaches1
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:12 AM
I just moved from fla to Illinois for dh's job...if you've weighed the options & found the move to be the best option then do it for the good of your fam.
Difference for us was dh had been working for this company for 2yrs prior & jobs in my home town were slim to none! I woulda loved to stay in fla, just maybe a lil more north & out of miami-dade area. Alas that was not an option.
If this is a new job, new company & all, maybe him making the move 1st & settling in to be sure it is permament before the whole fam makes the move is the best option....
sunpeaches1
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Can you not tramsport them to their current school for a couple weeks rather than move their school in the middle of the yr just to move it again in a few weeks?
Jaide2883
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Obviously it wasn't an option a month ago. The job offer was just made. He's been laid off for 3 years now an hasn't found anything that pays better than 9 an hour around here. I don't really want to move them at the beginning of the school year but he also needs to take this job.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I would talk to the schools about what you should be doing.  There are legal issues with not having a kid in school for 4 weeks.  I find it shocking that you would make this sort of move during the school year.  It should have been done a month ago. 

Jaide2883
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:08 PM
It would be a 45 minute drive one way to take them so an hour and a half in the mornin and then again in the afternoon and with my work schedule it just wouldn't work. I hate the thought of moving in with my parents but I know I'm going to need the additional help

Quoting sunpeaches1:

Can you not tramsport them to their current school for a couple weeks rather than move their school in the middle of the yr just to move it again in a few weeks?

Groove
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Why can't you stay at your place for 2-4 weeks til he gets a place/settled/etc. Are you renting?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fstysxofthebtt
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:51 PM

What about your job? 

Jaide2883
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Yes we are renting and our landlord is not being very flexible. We are at the end of our lease and we would be moving anyway the difference is that we weren't planning on this big of a move, more like just across town.

I'm a nurse. Finding a new job shouldn't be that difficult.
KatLee42513
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:09 AM
You wouldn't survive the military life! I was an army brat...don't even get me started on how many times we've moved in the middle of the year!

Quoting NDADanceMom:

NDADanceMom
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I assure you there are far more compelling reasons than that which would cause me to not want a military life.

Quoting KatLee42513:

You wouldn't survive the military life! I was an army brat...don't even get me started on how many times we've moved in the middle of the year!

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN