Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Anyone know about renting rules, or laws

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 3:50 PM
  • 13 Replies
  1. when you are renting can they make you pay for repairs on the house? Our toilet is stopped up again. I Know, I know but when the kids are in there you just don't know. Anywho they came out and fixed it and now its clogged again and our landlord says we have to pay this time. Are we suppose to have to pay for the repairs now?
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 4:16 PM

look up tenant laws for your area.  What does your lease say?   For our apartment they are supposed to fix everything BUT we have taken upon ourselves for minor fixes to do ourselves.

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Okay, I will check thanks!

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Sep. 10, 2013 at 4:53 PM

if you  are the cause i am sure you have to pay. its not their fault that the kids are throwing stuff down the toilet

Katt709
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 4:57 PM
If your kids are putting things down there like toys or whatever, then you should pay for it regardless of if the lease says they pay. It's just common curtosey to try to keep from ruining things that are not yours. If however the toilet clogs every time someone uses it -correctly- then they should pay (if lease says so) bc they have given you a crappy (haha) Toilet.
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I agree with this. If it's a bad plumbing job or a bad toilet, that's not the same as if you're kids are using too much paper. Maybe they need more supervision? How old are they?

Quoting Katt709:

If your kids are putting things down there like toys or whatever, then you should pay for it regardless of if the lease says they pay. It's just common curtosey to try to keep from ruining things that are not yours. If however the toilet clogs every time someone uses it -correctly- then they should pay (if lease says so) bc they have given you a crappy (haha) Toilet.

pamk5641
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

If it says you are responsible in your lease then you have to pay for it otherwise the landlord is responsible.  If he doesn't do the repairs then I would pay for them myself and deduct it from the rent.  Also he cannot change the lease mid-term. 

Check your state's website for tenant's rights and confirm this.  He is most likely in violation of the lease if there is nothing stated in the lease that you are responsible for repairs.  If you don't have a working toilet then that is a breach of habitability and you could take him to court to ask the judge to order him to make the repairs.  Also call your local health department and/or building code inspector and ask them for advice.  You have the law on your side if there is nothing mentioned in the lease stating you are responsible for repairs. 

Alwaysmotivated
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:07 PM

this is correct, if your Landlord fixes and there is evidence that there are items that should not be in there (tampons, paper towels etc) just example then it would be the responsibility of the tenant..and it should be in your lease as well..regarding repairs..

Quoting silverdawn99:

if you  are the cause i am sure you have to pay. its not their fault that the kids are throwing stuff down the toilet

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:22 PM

my kids are 2,3,4,5, and 6 however its only the second time that something has been down there. When we first moved into this house every toilet in the whole house was broken, or ran(made that creepy noise). We just adopted 2 kids and its been a bit wacky here but they are supervised, but with a 2, and a3 year old they just do kid things. They have fixed so many things in this house since we moved in, so its strange to me that all of a sudden they want us to pay. WE moved in and they didn't even clean the house. The kitchen wall was stained with oil up to the ceiling( had to scrub it all off), trash was everywhere, toilet's didnt work, the carpet was not cleaned. We really needed to move in fast so we clean it ourselves, so the least they could do is be a little more understanding as we were with them.

Quoting Kathy489:

I agree with this. If it's a bad plumbing job or a bad toilet, that's not the same as if you're kids are using too much paper. Maybe they need more supervision? How old are they?

Quoting Katt709:

ambitious_MOM
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:32 PM
I've looked up some stuff on tenant and landlord responsibilities but what can you do when property management is called several times and nothing gets done???
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:03 PM

It sounds like you did much more than your share of the work. Unfortunately, some landlords would overlook that unless you had some kind of an agreement. For example, each time you paint or do a repair, consider asking for something off the rent. Some tenants mow lawns, for example, for a reduction. It would all depend on your agreement, if there is one in writing.

God bless you for adopting children!  :-)

hugs

Quoting misssy2000:

my kids are 2,3,4,5, and 6 however its only the second time that something has been down there. When we first moved into this house every toilet in the whole house was broken, or ran(made that creepy noise). We just adopted 2 kids and its been a bit wacky here but they are supervised, but with a 2, and a3 year old they just do kid things. They have fixed so many things in this house since we moved in, so its strange to me that all of a sudden they want us to pay. WE moved in and they didn't even clean the house. The kitchen wall was stained with oil up to the ceiling( had to scrub it all off), trash was everywhere, toilet's didnt work, the carpet was not cleaned. We really needed to move in fast so we clean it ourselves, so the least they could do is be a little more understanding as we were with them.

Quoting Kathy489:

Quoting Katt709:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)