Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Preterm Labor & Progesterone: Injections or Suppositories

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:03 PM
  • 5 Replies

I have had two preterm deliveries, one at 34 weeks, the other at 33 weeks. This time around, my OB would like to use progesterone injections starting at 16 weeks. I thought I was okay with the idea, but as it creeps closer, the more and more NOT okay with them I become. I would like to make a strong case for doing suppositories instead. I have read many first-hand experiences with using suppositories instead of the injections, some after bad reactions, some because of a fear of needles, etc.

Have you had to do injections? If so, what was your experience? No dramatic stories please....but please do "give it to me strait".  

Suppositories....were you able to continue using them later in pregnancy for prevention of preterm labor? How did you it go over with your doctor when it came to choosing them over injections? Mine didn't even bring up suppositories, like they are not an option.

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
avulgamo
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:37 PM
I had preterm labor and my son born at 35 weeks. I took suppositories unt 16 weeks then injections once a week until 36 weeks. It is a fairly large guage needle, thick liquid, and slow injection. The injection sight generally had a dull ache for a few hours if I did not get up and move around after. I had one instance of needing my contractions stopped this pregnancy at 35 weeks, as opposed to 3x between 32-35 weeks last pregnancy without the injections. I am currently 38w 3d. The nurse who did my injections said she has never had a girl go into labor before the last injection.
MixedCooke
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:17 AM

I was recommended it but I refused because I think both of mine were more isolated cases such that the first seemed to occur like a day or so after I saw the doctor and her hand was like waaaaay up there!  the second I was under a lot of stress so they induced me due to my elevated blood pressure.

ashleighmama
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:24 AM
I only used the suppositories. I took clomid for both pregnancies and was told I had low progesterone. I used them I think until about 20 weeks the first pregnancy and until I delivered with my 2nd. My 2nd was an emergency c section at 32 weeks but it had nothing to do with progesterone, my blood pressure was sky high.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AshleyLynnW
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:11 AM
I had ds1 at 37 weeks, dd at 34 weeks, then ds2 at 35 weeks. They didn't put me on any progesterone with those pregnancies, just tried stopping labor when I went in. With ds3 I was put on progesterone suppositories from about 26 weeks until I delivered at 32 weeks. My insurance wouldn't pay for the shots so I had to do the suppositories. I still had contractions a lot and had to have labor stopped 3 times before he came anyway.
madelyns_momma
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Thanks ladies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN