Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Prenatals causing anxiety?

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:51 AM
  • 6 Replies
I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I started taking prenatal vitamins as a cheap multivitamin before I got pregnant (I'm now 7 weeks along) and I started getting some anxiety. I shrugged it off and continued taking the prenatals, and I had two full blown panic attacks and had to call my doctor. I couldn't understand what was causing them, but ended up forgetting to take the prenatals for a few days due to all the frustration and thoughts being centered on the anxiety. Well, after a few days of not taking the prenatals, low and behold, my anxiety went away.

I was skeptical that it was the pills causing it, so I started taking them again. About a week later, BAM, another full blown anxiety attack. The prenatals were the only thing I had been changing. Stopped taking them again, anxiety disappeared again.

Anyways, when I got pregnant, I knew I had to take the damn prenatals again, so I did. Anxiety is back again. I tried switching to a different brand, still having anxiety. I forgot to take them for three days, anxiety was gone. It's getting really frustrating. Does anyone have any advice as to alternatives or reasons why this could be? My doctor said it could be the fillers in the vitamins or that I'm possibly getting too much of a particular vitamin. Has anyone else had this problem and know of a solution? Because I can't go the rest of my pregnancy with horrible anxiety.
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Talk to your doctor about it ....... You may be able to use a childrens vitamin instead.   I have never heard of vitamins causing anxiety but anything is possible.    I had more anxiety due to the increase of hormones in my body.

LizzieDoll
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:25 AM
My first prenatal appointment is on Friday, so I'm definitely going to bring it up. I'd assume it's just the hormones if it didn't happen before I was pregnant, too... Very frustrating.
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:16 AM

yeah too many variables.  I have had anxiety for alot of my life but deal with it not using meds.  Definitely talk to your doctor and see what they suggest.

Quoting LizzieDoll:

My first prenatal appointment is on Friday, so I'm definitely going to bring it up. I'd assume it's just the hormones if it didn't happen before I was pregnant, too... Very frustrating.

Imjustinsmommy
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:20 AM

i find i actually had  less anxiety with vitamins bc i get  anxiety regardless.  pregnancy made my anxiety worse. so   im not sure.. maybe just take a childrens vit instead? you can  get most of your vits from food.

poppys_mommy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:31 AM

YES!

Well, ok, it was more kind of depression but I really think the prenatals caused me to feel a little crazy.  I didn't realize it until well after I'd had the baby (since I was breastfeeding, I kept taking them).  So glad you reminded me.  We were considering another baby and I forgot the vitamins make me nuts and probably would have started right back up.  I know I need folic acid but maybe we don't really need the other stuff if we have a good diet.. I think my problem is something with the Bs (B6 or B12) so perhaps if I had a lower one of those....

Anyway, good luck!

LizzieDoll
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Thanks for the replies all :-) I think I might just switch to a folic acid supplement or a children's multivitamin as suggested. Thanks!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN