Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Ohhhh,what to,what to do!?

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:24 PM
  • 20 Replies
My son,who is 9 years old,just started FOURTH grade...asked me if he can go to the school dance in a few weeks!?!? What?!Ok,I do remember going to a school dance at the of 9,10,but dang it! It's MY kid now lol.Ohhhh,what to do,what to?!He doesn't want be there to chaperon or be his date lol.Gosh darn it,he wont even let me walk him to his bus stop!!I am not ready for my children grow up,really not.I know it's part of life.What should I do?Think positive and have him go have fun?Or..or..what else to do?
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krazymom2boyz
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this
My daddy always told me that dances lead to holding hands, then to hugs, then kisses, then "ditches", then babies! ;) He was right, 3 years after I went to my senior prom I married my date from that night, and a year later, had a baby! Lol I'm not looking forward to when my boys go to their first dances, either. I say tell him to go, mind his manners and have a great time! Good luck momma!
MommyOf2341
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Quoting krazymom2boyz:

My daddy always told me that dances lead to holding hands, then to hugs, then kisses, then "ditches", then babies! ;) He was right, 3 years after I went to my senior prom I married my date from that night, and a year later, had a baby! Lol I'm not looking forward to when my boys go to their first dances, either. I say tell him to go, mind his manners and have a great time! Good luck momma!

I don't like your first sentence!LOL.Thank you.He won't let this go,"you must give me an answer tomorrow morning mommy." lol,great.
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this
i doubt they bring dates at fourth grade. its probably more of a dj party. that is what ours are.
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I would have a rule that he needs to go with a group of friends and not just one single girl at this age.

MommyOf2341
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Yes,I did tell him to find out how many of the boys are going.I dont think he is meeting up with girls!!?

Quoting frndlyfn:

I would have a rule that he needs to go with a group of friends and not just one single girl at this age.

queencreekmom
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, in 4th grade? I teach 4th and there is nothing like this. I can understand your nervousness! School dances don't start here until 8th grade. 

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Most likely just going to hang out with friends and goof around.  Our elementary school has one dance a year and it is a family dance so everyone is invited.  Last year they had a dj which used a bubble machine and it would blow bubbles in tune with whatever song was playing.  DD is in 2nd grade and she had her first going out at night by self last year with her best friend.  They went to Chuck E Cheese school night.  

Quoting MommyOf2341:

Yes,I did tell him to find out how many of the boys are going.I dont think he is meeting up with girls!!?

Quoting frndlyfn:

susannah2000
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Nine years old is too young to go to a dance , and for there to be dances for fourth graders, especially in any kind of dating situation. Why do we insist on pushing our kids to be older than they are? Dances should be for 7/8th graders. I've never heard of dances for 4th grade, either.
Okie-chick
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 5:54 AM
1 mom liked this
My sons elementary school had dances all of the time. The place was always packed with parents. It was a fun thing for him to do. I would give him like $5 and he could get drinks and snacks and I'd pick him up after the school I worked at let out. By then the dance was almost over. They didn't dress up or have anything fancy.
RADmomma
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I would find out who else is going
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)