Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

mom talk today

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM
  • 6 Replies
So IM just looking for any moms that goes through son and daughters that has adhd problems at home and at school. I have a son that has adhd and he always having a hard time focus in school work. He has a 504 and a iep on his file. If any moms that has any other topic that they want to share please do so thank you
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:27 AM

My 12 yr old son is ADD/ADHD at home and school. He was diagnosed when he was 5. It's a struggle for sure. My son also has a IEP and is in resource classes even in Middle school. Doing fairly well... I have realized the more activities he is in, the better he does. He feels like he is acomplishing something and that helps tremendously. Right now he is in football and he does boy scouts. Maybe a idea for your guy?

lashea727
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:19 PM
I will look into that next week. I been thinking about put my son in basketball or football too. That's good that your son is doing good in sports. My son has a very stressful time focusing in his class. IM not getting no help with services yet and IM trying to understand why he get mad all the time

Quoting DallasCowboys81:

My 12 yr old son is ADD/ADHD at home and school. He was diagnosed when he was 5. It's a struggle for sure. My son also has a IEP and is in resource classes even in Middle school. Doing fairly well... I have realized the more activities he is in, the better he does. He feels like he is acomplishing something and that helps tremendously. Right now he is in football and he does boy scouts. Maybe a idea for your guy?

DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Id be calling the school daily. He is probably feeling frustrated and upset because he is no understanding what's goin on. Therapy also helped my son. They are able to discuss the feelings they have about add/adhd and how to cope with a proffesional. I know with my son he is constantly asking if he is doing a good job or if he was good today. Its them needing reassurance and making sure they infact are being good and its not just in their minds. Its stressful mama. Constant reasurance, and constant praising. They thrive on it.

Quoting lashea727:

I will look into that next week. I been thinking about put my son in basketball or football too. That's good that your son is doing good in sports. My son has a very stressful time focusing in his class. IM not getting no help with services yet and IM trying to understand why he get mad all the time

Quoting DallasCowboys81:

Dawn96
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:51 PM

My son has moderate ADD. He has a hard time in a classroom setting because when he is not being directly worked with he thoughts scatter. He also focuses very intently for short periods of time and is a very fast reader - so he will quickly read his assignments and then want to go off on his own tangents. He gets in trouble for being disruptive and argumentative. We elected not to put him on medication because it is controllable and we wanted him to be able to learn about his responses and actions. Team sports have been essential in getting him to become part of a group and to focus on a shared outcome. In grade school the teachers kept him in the front row so that they could maintain eye contact better which helped him focus. He always brought home a lot of homework during those years. Classroom time that was given for work was used for a variety of more interesting things. I divided his homework time into 15 minute segments. We would work for 15 minutes and run around crazily for 10 minutes - back and forth. As he became more able to stay on task I made the work segments a little longer. Now he seldom brings home homework - it all gets done in school. He is started college level courses in his high school this year which are more challenging and that he can't read as quickly and comrpehend. He is havign a bit of frustration again because the terminology used to describe concepts is more obscure and he is a very literal minded fellow - we had a huge debate about what the phrase "evolution of discipline" means - he thinks that is ridiculous - evolution is a biological process and a discipline is a behavior modification method so those two concepts don't merge for him. In some ways I agree with him, the conflation of terms that occurs in higher education is not helpful to engaging and understanding the subject to those uninitiated in the field. I told him if he wasn't willing to be more flexible and adaptive in his understanding of a concept that he was going to need to investigate a different path than going to university :)

LadyGlick
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:53 PM

My DD is adhd, and has the 504 plan. We have made a lot of diet and routine changes as well, in my current situation I would not even consider medication as an option at this point (I feel like it is over diagnosed and highly over medicated, just my po) so some days are more of a struggle than others. But all in all she is a great kid and it just takes a little more patience and creativity on my part. She does softball and cheerleading. It really helps having something to work towards - like "if you pay attention and write your spelling words right the first time then we will be able to get to practice on time". It is also a great way to use up all that extra energy!!!!

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I am in the process of getting my son evaluated.  His father is fighting me on it, but I have seen the signs and symptoms for years.  He also plays hockey.  Great way to use up energy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN