Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I'm sure this will cause some backlash... Marijuana Vs. Cigarettes?

So while I was watching the news the other day and the topic of legalization of Marijuana came up.  I started to think about it and I honestly want to know WHO decided to make it illegal.  I mean tobacco is grown practically the same way, and they add MORE chemicals to that (we all know this).  As far as the "high" effect of Marijuana, I know from time to time if I smoke a cigarette I get light headed and a feeling I can only describe as a "nicotine high".  

I guess I'm confused on how someone randomly just decided this was something that needed to be outlawed, yet we sell packs of 20 sticks of cancer for under $10 a box that have no proven health benefits and I'm not sure they have ever been illegal (I could be wrong)!  Just random things that I think about.  Not looking to be bashed either.  

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Replies (41-50):
AvengedMommy101
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Shit, me too! I don't even have to be stoned to have the munchies... which must mean it should be illegal to be pregnant :O

Quoting tangerine_dream:

Mmm I could throw down on some Doritos Loco's Taco's now lol!  

Quoting AvengedMommy101:

...from wanting to eat a whole bag of Doritos ;)

Quoting tangerine_dream:

Lmao!  You know the government KNOWS ALL!  They are just "protecting" us.  DUH!  LOL!

Quoting AvengedMommy101:

Population control. That's why I believe tobacco products are on the self. Nicotine addicts, like myself, have a super hard time quitting, while smokes destroy our bodies from the inside out.
Smoking anything isn't good on your lungs. But, at least Marijuana isn't full of deadly chemicals. I don't think it should be illegal.
But hey! Why would our government do something good for once?

Momster881
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 3:25 PM
I told my father, who has parkinsons to try looking into it. I may say watching the documentary was really eye openening and in a heart beat I'd give it to my children if it were to save their lives. I was in absolute awe....

Quoting tangerine_dream:

I was a nanny for a family who is looking into medical MJ for their infant son to control his seizures, it does wonders! 

Quoting Momster881:

I am for medical marijuana, I've watched Dr. Sanjay Gupta's documentary on it. I won't judge anyone who smokes weed or cigarrettes & haven't done either.

Cnel
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Well mj helps cancer patients so it can't be that bad my mother in laws doctor told her she could smoke alittle while she was pregnant to suppress the excessive nausea also if cigarettes cause cancer and mj Dosnt yet cigs are legal That makes no sence politics are rediculous ad that's my conclusion I think basically the tobacco industry was the highest bidder and wrote somewhere in their contract mj would have to be illegal in order for them to profit it's like when you sign a lease for a business you state certain businesses that can't open in that same shopping mall so to cut the competition 

BrittChaos
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

They can't put taxes on Marijuana like they can cigarettes. That's why it's illegal. It's all about money. Alcohol and cigarettes kill thousands of people a year Marijuana has never killed a single person,but if the government can't make money from it then it's"bad" for you. If you grow your own crops they can't make you pay for it,pathetic I do believe so. If you take a look at countries where it is decriminalized,it's not legal anywhere in the world contrary to popular belief,their economy is thriving and they don't have a high crime rate. I think it's ridiculous to have it illegal while alcohol,as much as it is good,is not. I'm not a huge pot head,but I do enjoy Marijuana. I'm pregnant so I don't smoke,though I did a few times to get over my nausea,I couldn't eat a thing! I'm safe about it and am not an idiot about it. Which the people who get into trouble with it are idiots,I mean put an idiot on anything and well they're just idiots no matter the drug.

Booky502
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Both are really bad for your lungs. Inhaling marijuana smoke is not good for your lungs, no matter how young you are. It's loaded with mercury and carcinogens. It'll give you lung cancer just as quick. I'm 60, and I have to tell ya I've seen the long-term use has done to the friends I have who still smoke weed but not cigarettes. It all catches up with you. I do approve of MJ use for nausea from illnesses, however. If you like nicotine, though, why not chew nicotine gum..? Air is so dirty everywhere, inhaling more dirty air by smoking anything at all is just so so bad for you. And if you should hook up with someone and/or friends who do not smoke, you might have relationship issues as well. Just sayin'.

mandoy25
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:47 PM
yeah but if the cig companies would jump on that fight for it to be legal and make mj cigs they would make a killing. but pharma would def lose money. and alcohol too.

Quoting Retrokitty:

No I mean when alcohol was illegal. They were made illegal for similar reasons. Also one of the biggest reasons they haven't been made legal is because big pharma, alcohol and cigarette companies. Those are the companies that will lose money when weed becomes legal.

Quoting tangerine_dream:

Of course alcohol is legal though lol.  Whoever made that decision wasn't the brightest crayon in the box. 

Quoting Retrokitty:

It was illegal for stupid reasons like alcohol. There is no reason for it to be illegal.

Vegan_Goddess
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Pot has been cross strained so much that it really isn't even as natural as people make it out to be these days. GMO free pot... not anymore.

Make pot federally legal, the big companies will grab it, and it will be just as bad cigarettes. 

Just my opinion.

aiden032809
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:01 PM

i never understood the benefits of smoking cigs but due to having a medical condition i can say marijuana is the only thing that helped me through my pain after trying almost all the pain medications. everything in moderation i say, if it doesnt control your life there is nothing wrong with smoking here and there i say .... just my opinion :-)

auntangelofsix
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Same here.

Quoting DACIA79:

I'm against both so I can't help
PestPatti
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Why would you want Reagan back in office, he said smoking pot would turn you homosexual.. 

Pot was illegal long before Nixon was POTUS.  The only POTUS who wanted it legal was Carter.

Quoting MommyDearest__:

This freaking question is like wondering how God has no beginning; you will never know, lol. It makes no sense at all! Cigarettes kill people and can turn you into one ugly lookin creature, yet they are legal and marijuana isn't... it's pathetic! I know exactly what you mean, I use to smoke cigarettes and OMG, sometimes I'd get the worse nicotine high it was unreal. I sure wish Ronald Raegan was still around and in office... All I know is it's mainly President Nixon's fault.... He's the man who began making a big deal about it because of how the hippies were acting.... It's okay though; marijuana is only illegal to those not using it... Keep it illegal, I'll still smoke like a chimney! Lmao It won't be too long before we can start growing it ha ha.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN