Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I'm sure this will cause some backlash... Marijuana Vs. Cigarettes?

So while I was watching the news the other day and the topic of legalization of Marijuana came up.  I started to think about it and I honestly want to know WHO decided to make it illegal.  I mean tobacco is grown practically the same way, and they add MORE chemicals to that (we all know this).  As far as the "high" effect of Marijuana, I know from time to time if I smoke a cigarette I get light headed and a feeling I can only describe as a "nicotine high".  

I guess I'm confused on how someone randomly just decided this was something that needed to be outlawed, yet we sell packs of 20 sticks of cancer for under $10 a box that have no proven health benefits and I'm not sure they have ever been illegal (I could be wrong)!  Just random things that I think about.  Not looking to be bashed either.  

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Replies (51-57):
MommyDearest__
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Oh

Quoting PestPatti:

Why would you want Reagan back in office, he said smoking pot would turn you homosexual.. 

Pot was illegal long before Nixon was POTUS.  The only POTUS who wanted it legal was Carter.

Quoting MommyDearest__:

This freaking question is like wondering how God has no beginning; you will never know, lol. It makes no sense at all! Cigarettes kill people and can turn you into one ugly lookin creature, yet they are legal and marijuana isn't... it's pathetic! I know exactly what you mean, I use to smoke cigarettes and OMG, sometimes I'd get the worse nicotine high it was unreal. I sure wish Ronald Raegan was still around and in office... All I know is it's mainly President Nixon's fault.... He's the man who began making a big deal about it because of how the hippies were acting.... It's okay though; marijuana is only illegal to those not using it... Keep it illegal, I'll still smoke like a chimney! Lmao It won't be too long before we can start growing it ha ha.

PestPatti
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Interesting, I have the exact opposite experience with long term pot smokers I know.   All of us that I know have been smoking since the 70's.  And none of us are suffering any ill effects from it.  We are all 50 and up.

Quoting Booky502:

Both are really bad for your lungs. Inhaling marijuana smoke is not good for your lungs, no matter how young you are. It's loaded with mercury and carcinogens. It'll give you lung cancer just as quick. I'm 60, and I have to tell ya I've seen the long-term use has done to the friends I have who still smoke weed but not cigarettes. It all catches up with you. I do approve of MJ use for nausea from illnesses, however. If you like nicotine, though, why not chew nicotine gum..? Air is so dirty everywhere, inhaling more dirty air by smoking anything at all is just so so bad for you. And if you should hook up with someone and/or friends who do not smoke, you might have relationship issues as well. Just sayin'.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa :) on Sep. 14, 2013 at 1:57 AM

i dont like either.

healthymom46
by Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Cannabis is alternative medicine. The pharmaceutical companies didn't want it legalized. There's a good documentary film called "Best Marijuana Documentary you will ever watch"

They say Marijuana in its natural form is one of the safest therapeutical active substances known to man.

Many claim that "cannabis oil" has helped them over come cancer. 

suzir
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Yo are on point
ReginaStar
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:03 PM

It wasn't a random decision. It was a racial one. Hemp was a major product used the US for paper and all sorts of things. When Hispanics started immigrating to the US in high numbers they were getting high. So they made it illegal. 

ReginaStar
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Quoting EarlGrayHot:

It all happened back in the day because whote folks decided it was some evil drug used by black folks that would corrupt us all.  Watch a History Channel special sometime.  The war on drugs pretty much began due to racism.  Drugs were acceptable until someone decided it was a black crime.

That was crack/coaine. 

Pot Smoking was a war on Hispanics. 

Jaliyah  My video here

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)