Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Large amount of child support.... SURPRISE!!

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

My sons' father paid a large amount of back child support this month. I haven't seen child support from him since the $47 he paid last November. He also hasn't seen my son since Christmas. My son finally told me a few months ago the his dad whopped him with a belt and he doesn't want to go back out to his house. His dad has never been stable in his life. His dad did call on Easter and want him but my son refused to go and said he hated him. I didn't make my son go of course and now we haven't heard from him since. 

Since I recieved payment this month, his father hasn't tryed to contact me. He did have a warrent and suspended license due his child support. So I am thinking that he paid it so he could get this lifted off of him. I did this morning wrote him on FB and said thank you for the payment. We are not friends on FB either.

So my question is... should I let my son know that his dad did make this payment? I am getting this payment a week before his 7th birthday and 2 months before out vacation to Souther California. This payment is coming at a great time for us to be able to do more and go set him up for winter clothes and gear.

Even if I didn't get this payment my son would have got all of this. Wanted to make this clear before I am bashed in anyways. 

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FreaksNGeeks
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think I would have thanked him for paying his dues. That doesn't make any sense to me. And why would you tell your son about the payment? He's 7, too young to understand that his sperm donor HAD to pay it. He DIDNT pay it out of love. Don't force the sperm donor or any info about sperm donor on your son. He has dropped the rope with him, but have you?
DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I got a huge payment this mth too! Mine was his taxes. I bought my kids school clothes and all new shoes. It was great not relying on anyone so yes my kids knew I got it. :) also no contact with dad for 2 yrs now
AydensMommy1008
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldnt thank him, he owes that to your son. He hasnt paid anything since Nov he does owe you and him ALOT! I know how hard it is being a single mom and trying to raise your kid on your income with no financial support from the father. Dont make him feel that you needed it or it was a favor to you and your son, its his responsibility and youre right he probably did pay it just for the sakes of being able to get those things lifted off of him. I wouldnt be really expecting any more $$ from him for awhile either if I were you simply bc of that reason. And I wouldnt tell your son, he'll know someday that the other parent is responsible for child support but if he hates his Dad you dont need to put it in his face that the $$ is from him, so then he'll put whatever is bought with it attached to the bad feelings he has about his Dad.

But I am happy for you and I hope that you have a good time with your son with it! :)

Lisse_2006
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Thank you ladies! I wish I didn't thank him but no reply as of yet.  I only told my father about the payment and my dad said "He just paid for your and A's 10 days of relaxing, fun and mommy son time. That is the least he could have done for all the sh*t he has put you through." So thank you all for making me feel better. I am not going to tell him but he will get a SWEET birthday this year for sure. :)

AydensMommy1008
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Lisse_2006:

Thank you ladies! I wish I didn't thank him but no reply as of yet.  I only told my father about the payment and my dad said "He just paid for your and A's 10 days of relaxing, fun and mommy son time. That is the least he could have done for all the sh*t he has put you through." So thank you all for making me feel better. I am not going to tell him but he will get a SWEET birthday this year for sure. :)

Your Dad is right! :) Sweet deal, hope he has a GREAT b-day! :)

romanceparty4u
by Ruby Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:01 AM

NO.

One thing you might want to consider is why does he suddenly want his license and car tags? Would he take him away and not return?

Think of the big picture. He may have some plans you don't approve of

beaularson91
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:02 AM

You're nicer than me.  I would'nt have thanked him for something he's supposed to be doing.  There's also no point i telling your kid about it.

AtillaTheHun
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't have thanked him for doing what he is supposed and what the court ordered him to do. Sad enough that it took getting his license suspended to make him pay. Your message to him might come across as sarcastic, and maybe that's why he has not responded. Not that I would care lol!
Lisse_2006
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes I am hoping that is what he takes it has...lol! Thank you everyone! You all made me feel much better. :)

Quoting AtillaTheHun:

I wouldn't have thanked him for doing what he is supposed and what the court ordered him to do. Sad enough that it took getting his license suspended to make him pay. Your message to him might come across as sarcastic, and maybe that's why he has not responded. Not that I would care lol!

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Why in the world would you involve a 7 year old in adult matters? If he was in his teens, I could understand and even then I dont think I would discuss it with mine.

Go on vacay, buy his clothes and deal with the matters of when dad shows with son, but nothing else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)