Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Not sure what to title this....

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 3:41 PM
  • 3 Replies

My family is bilingual.Fluent in both English and Spanish-now on to the story.

Apparently in the last week or so my son's school had some little boys register.Little boys that talk no English WHATSOEVER.And,because they don't understand anything their classrooms are being "disrupted"....these little boys are getting bored and goofing off with each other. (Who and WHY did they put them all in the same classroom?!). This is where we come in.

The school had been calling me-asking me to translate things for the kids.Which I have no problem doing....but,I work full time and leave my house at 1:00 p.m. everyday.Brian (my 12 year old)can help but,according to the teacher his translating is not "technical" enough?And,Bryce (10 year old)is in different building,not in same grade/different skills.So,a couple of days  ago they called and asked if it was ok for them to pull the 17 year old out of class-so he could help them.(Just for an hour,please?)

I said I didn't mind and just make sure he doesn't miss anything important on his side,right?My son comes home laughing his little smart a$$ hiney off.... Remember,this is the first time that the group of little boys had seen my son.So,when the teachers walk in with a blonde,curly headed kid these boys immediately start talking amongst themselves...."This is who they think is going help?This dummy doesn't talk Spanish." My son says they were being sort of rude,calling him names and stuff.And because it was in Spanish the teachers weren't catching on either.

So,Joey tells me..."I just sort of fussed at them the way I do at Brian.Asked them what they needed help in? It was funny mom,it took them a little bit to recover from hearing my Spanish.And,the teachers were just sort of standing there grinning..." This is when  he started laughing.Bah...teen boys! LOL

Him in all his glory.Heeheehee.

Thought for the day :

Women are angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible that way.

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 3:50 PM

BUMP!

Wicked.Jester
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Your son looks Hispanic to me....*shrug*

But its not the lack of English that made these kids disruptive, lets just make that clear.  My kids were adopted from Russia and I wanted them to learn English through immersion, because its the quickest and most natural way.  I did NOT want them in an ESL classroom....particularly because most ESL classrooms focus on Spanish to English and wouldn't have done them any good anyway.  They spoke Russian.

Their lack of English did not cause them to be disruptive.

crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM
You might want to think twice about your family taking on the responsibility of this translation. If something is wrong or misunderstood the parents are going to start blaming you.

I would tell the school that they need to get a teacher/ translator in there. Those boys need to be learning to speak English and things just being translated isn't helping anyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN