Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Three most important life skills to teach your child

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:15 AM
  • 35 Replies
2 moms liked this

The three life skills I am trying to teach my daughter, neice, and now the child I am babysitting is: self discipline, mental toughness, and how to work hard. I believe that if you teach your child or children those three life skills they will be successful as adults. I see so many kids that quit when they face adversity. Please make your kids finish something they start, and let them struggle through it. They will think you when they are an adult. I struggled a lot as a child and my mom always made me finish what I started. I think that skill and the fact that my mom taught me self discipline is the reason I graduated from college.  

by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:25 AM
4 moms liked this
Each family has their own priorities. We teach as #1 honesty/honor. Your word is more important and harder to get back than anything else. If people trust you and you pay your debts you can go much further in life.
#2 is faith/respect. Love and honor your heavenly creator and your earthly creators.
#3 is curiosity and knowledge. Never stop learning.
funmom111
by Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Awesome, I left out of my post a love for Christ

susannah2000
by Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Interesting question! I'm sure everyone would answer the question differently. Off the top of my head, mine would be

To THINK. About life, about self, about others and their feelings, about the world and their place in it,  about goals and plans, and how to make them happen. I think it is so sad that people can grow old without ever knowing who they really are, because they never thought about it and looked inside themselves. This includes keeping a love for learning. A person who is always learning is an alive person.

To LOVE. Self, others, the world around you

To LAUGH. Know how to have fun and take pleasure in the simple, fun things.

armywifey1983
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM
2 moms liked this

Three things I hope to instill in my children are self confidence, hard work ethics, and love; love for the self and love (and compassion!) for others.

Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

The top three things I will hopefully get across to my child are 1. REPECT god, yourself, parents and all living things. 

2. Work hard and always do your job to the best of your ability. 

3. To be a life time learner. The more your read the more you know the more places you will go. ( Dr. Suess) 

Pnukey
by Jennifer on Sep. 14, 2013 at 4:11 PM

1. Problem solving.

2. Self-reliance.

3. Sense of humor / wit.

twinmom114
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Diligence

Good Moral character

Self control
littlebugs2113
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Curiosity - to never lose their childish sense of awe.
Laughter - to laugh easily and not take everything so seriously.
No Judging - no judging anyone ever, everyone has their own struggles & opinions.
sasismommy
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 8:37 PM

1.Self-Respect

2. Self-Discipline

3.......aint got there yet lol, 

Buggy979
by Danette on Sep. 14, 2013 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Live laugh love
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)