Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Dog hair ball piog

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 1:58 PM
  • 3 Replies
We have a Shi tzu and he has very long hair. Every once in a while, it sounds like he is trying to cough up a hair ball like a cat does. Is there anything to help him to get it up or to help it pass? Gettin his hair cut is not an option, and a vet visit is not possible either.

Tia
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
chaslee
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 2:11 PM

My first question is are you sure he has a hair ball?  Sometimes dogs get allergies that cause them to gag/hack like that.

If you are sure it is a hair ball give him a SMALL amount of fish oil in his food, it will lubricate the ball for easier passing, but beware that something like that in a dogs intestine can cause major damage (the hair ball, not the fish oil).

Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Quoting chaslee:

My first question is are you sure he has a hair ball?Β  Sometimes dogs get allergies that cause them to gag/hack like that.

If you are sure it is a hair ball give him a SMALL amount of fish oil in his food, it will lubricate the ball for easier passing, but beware that something like that in a dogs intestine can cause major damage (the hair ball, not the fish oil).

I'm almost positive that its a hair ball. He hacks and gags and then sometimes eats it again. He doesn't do it every day like you would with an allergy. His whole body shakes and his stomach looks like its trying to vomit something up.
jconney80
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:03 PM

It could be a heart problem. My dog used to do that and he had a heart problem that went undiagnosed for years

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)