Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you think it's the mom's fault her child died?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:38 PM
  • 84 Replies

PITTSBURGH (AP) — The Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium says the mother of a 2-year-old boy fatally mauled in a wild African dogs exhibit is to blame in her son's death and shouldn't be allowed to sue.

The claim filed Monday in Allegheny County is in response to a lawsuit brought by the parents of Maddox Derkosh.

Jason and Elizabeth Derkosh are seeking unspecified damages in the Nov. 4 death of Maddox, who fell over a 4-foot-tall railing into the exhibit after his mother lifted him up to get a better look.

The zoo says in the court filing that Maddox's death was "caused solely by the carelessness, negligence and/or recklessness of Elizabeth Derkosh."

The parents' attorney, Robert Mongeluzzi, said in a statement Wednesday that "the zoo's position is dead wrong and shameful."

by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Blueluvr
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Whatever the cause I'm sure she's blaming and beating herself up over it, regardless :-( my heart goes out to her. She must be completely broken . It was a mistake... With a terrible outcome, but very simple mistake never the less.
-42-
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:45 PM
8 moms liked this
Of course not, zoos should know better than to have wild animals behind a fence and in an enclosure.....it's just asking for it!

While it is such a horrible, sad thing.....c'mon. Who looks at a pack of wild dogs and says 'my kid can't see them good enough, I should dangle him over the fence!'
crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:45 PM
2 moms liked this
4ft isn't much of a safety railing. I guess without seeing the configuration if the exhibit and rail I can't really say.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Y2kmomma
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:47 PM
I agree.
While I feel really bad for the mom, and I'm not going to say its HER FAULT, I dontthink it's the zoos fault either.

Quoting -42-:

Of course not, zoos should know better than to have wild animals behind a fence and in an enclosure.....it's just asking for it!

While it is such a horrible, sad thing.....c'mon. Who looks at a pack of wild dogs and says 'my kid can't see them good enough, I should dangle him over the fence!'
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LMoseley
by Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:48 PM
4 moms liked this
Horrible outcome regardless, but yes that is her fault. Don't dangle your kid over wild animals!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-42-
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:54 PM
I can't add a picture on mobile, but it's a fenced in area with a little deck type thing for people to go on to look at them. It's surrounded by a 4 ft railing, similar to what you see on decks and such.

If you google 'Pittsburgh zoo dog exhibit picture', you can see it.

Quoting crwspringer:

4ft isn't much of a safety railing. I guess without seeing the configuration if the exhibit and rail I can't really say.
littlebugs2113
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:56 PM
4 moms liked this
my first thought was 'how did the parents survive?' cuz if it were me or my husband careless enuf to actually do something like that, we would not have just stood by while our child was mauled to death by those dogs. i woulda jumped over that railing the moment my son fell. how sad for that little boy :(
shoot4thestars
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:00 PM

While the mom should have have obviously  not held that poor boy on the fence, the zoo needs to get better restrictions on that outlook.  My family went to this zoo earlier this summer and as I was walking past the outlook (there's no longer any animals down under the outlook) two older kids ran up to it and jumped on the bottom of the fence and leaned their heads over to look down.  They could easily lift themselves up and obet without paying attention if they were trying to get a better look. I live an hour and a half away from there, and the news will mention it sometimes in detail and I just quiver thinking about that poor little boy.

Pnukey
by Jennifer on Sep. 14, 2013 at 11:30 PM
3 moms liked this

It wasn't the petting zoo. The fence is there for a reason. The mom chose to ignore that reason. The zoo is not liable, imo.

goatmom4
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

she is suffering the horrible loss of her babay and had to watch him in pain     does she really need any more sorrow

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)