Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Did i do the right thing?

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:44 AM
  • 69 Replies
3 moms liked this
Okay this happened the other day and I just can't stop thinking about it ... I was going to my insurance place and it's in the same parking lot as an amscot. Well I park and get out and notice the window is slightly cracked in the car next to me. Then I realize there is two young kids in carseats in the backseat sleeping. I freaked out I've seen so much on TV about how bad that is and how the heat here in fl could shut down a kids kidney in 10 minutes . I went around to my car and got my daughter out then I stood there for a few minutes to see if the kids parent would come out from where ever they were . I waited five minutes and no one came . I started getting worried maybe there weren't sleeping they were unconscious I didn't know how long they'd been in there so I called the police ... While on the phone with the police their dad came out . He started screaming at me and saying he was only gone five minutes and how dare I do that (but that's a lie cause I was there longer than five minutes) he said I needed to mind my business. I tried explaining too him how it's illegal in fl to leave a child in the car no matter what but he just kept screaming. Te officer I was on the phone with told me not to talk to him and they were in their way to handle it so I left and that was that . The thing is if I had seen later on the news one of those kids died I would have never forgiven myself for not calling. Like I said I had no clue how long the dad was gone and when he was coming back.. So I guess now I'm wondering if I did the rigt thing. Would anyone else have called or just minded their business ?
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Loveofmylife07
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I would have done the same thing. Good for you!
krazymom2boyz
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:50 AM
I would have done exactly the same thing. Good for you!
healthymom46
by New Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:50 AM
2 moms liked this

Was any of the car's windows left a little open for air? If not, I would have done the same thing as you did especially since you were out there 5 min. and noone had come. Don't feel bad. The father should know better. Gosh, it's not only the children dying in the car from the heat but also the danger that someone can steal them. I always took my youngsters in wherever I went. I was always afraid someone might take them. 

Mrs.Tirado
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this
You did the right thing. I would've done the same thing. The dad was being very careless and irresponsible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Scentsyfl
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Are you really asking yourself this question; while you appear in your photo to be holding that precious angel faced total bundle of Joy? If you need to here it from someone else my friend; The abosolute Honest truth is that there is No Question in this matter. Yes you did the right thing.

starreyedcutie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Yep you did the right thing
Elementaryboys2
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I have to agree you did the right thing and I would have done the same thing.

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:05 AM

oh yes

i would have called sooner

unspecified42
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Of course you did. The only thing I would have done differently is to stay until the police came to make sure they knew he was lying about how long he was gone for.

lenashark
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I would have called the police immediately, I wouldn't have even given him five minutes. Theres no excuse for that, children young enough to be in car seats should not be left unsupervised in a car for any amount of time. You did the right thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)