Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

anyone have tmj?!? what are your symptoms?

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:41 AM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this
What are your symptoms and what helps?
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dlilly783
by New Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:08 AM
I had to get muscle relaxers. It sucks. My jaw swells at the left side and locks shut.
starreyedcutie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Mine is on the left side too :+( not fun
sunpeaches1
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:01 AM
My mom had it so bad they didn't put her symptoms together w tmj for months. She had pain & swelling from where the jaws meet on the left & & it travelled down into her throat creating a lump in her throat that wouldn't go away. They tested her for everthing under the sun including throat cancer (which caused her to quit smoking cold turkey after 30 yrs!). They finally realized her pain was starting at the jaw & that the pad between the bones had been worn down to nothing. She had to have surgery & get an artificial pad put in....
starreyedcutie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Oh wow!

Quoting sunpeaches1:

My mom had it so bad they didn't put her symptoms together w tmj for months. She had pain & swelling from where the jaws meet on the left & & it travelled down into her throat creating a lump in her throat that wouldn't go away. They tested her for everthing under the sun including throat cancer (which caused her to quit smoking cold turkey after 30 yrs!). They finally realized her pain was starting at the jaw & that the pad between the bones had been worn down to nothing. She had to have surgery & get an artificial pad put in....
aliciajw1985
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:46 AM
I have it on both sides. Started with the right side in my early teens now both sides pop constantly and have locked before. The worst problem it causes for me are awful headaches. I now sleep in a mouth guard and don't eat any chewy candy and avoid chewing gum at all. I occasionally have to sleep with an ice pack on the joint when the swelling gets bad.
Bmat
by Ruby Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Terrible pain in my ear, jaw, part of my neck.  My dentist evened out my bite, which helped a lot, and I also use a nightguard to keep from grinding at night. I haven't had TMJ pain for several years now.

zboys
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Mine's on my left side too.  I massage it when it bothers me.  My jaw locked one time, but that was 20 years ago when I had a toddler and a baby and I had to live with my parents for a couple months. 

zboys
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Do you get those over-the-counter?

Quoting dlilly783:

I had to get muscle relaxers. It sucks. My jaw swells at the left side and locks shut.

zboys
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Yikes!

Quoting sunpeaches1:

nerdymom28
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Omg YES. I hate it. I've had it over 10 years, ever since my braces came off. Mine is mostly on the left, but occasionally the right gets messed up, too.

The symptoms include a popping when I chew or open my mouth wide. Sometimes it's painful, sometimes it's not. But it'll flare up every now and then and be excrutiating. And sometimes it locks up so I can only open my mouth a little ways. On days like that I have trouble eating. The severity comes and goes, which is probably the only reason I can handle it. If it was constantly at its worst, I would see a doctor and try to find a solution. As of right now, I just deal with it. I don't take anything for it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)