Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Private or public schools?

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:04 PM
  • 35 Replies

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTROX
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Kids go to public.

I work at private.

Lovemyshadows
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Mine all went to public schools.  All of them have done well and furthered their education.  DD has a masters in education, she was teaching full time and taking care of her family at the same time.  My boys are doing just as well.

EndlessMom
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:14 PM

That is tricky. Since we live in the town it is our public school but others can go to the same school which is technically a private school if they are willing to pay the tuition. We have an amazing school.

sunpeaches1
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:23 PM
My oldest went to kindergarten in public & I HATED!!! dealing w the freaking system! He has adhd, undx'ed at the time & they did absolutely nothing to help him despite me & his teacher begging them! They wouldn't even send in the social worker for his evals in order to complete his diagnosis! Ugh! After verbally bitch-slapping the entire admin of the school I finally went to regional level & got his 504 done before the end of the yr & applied for scholarships for him to go private! He was accepted & I put him in a private montessori academy the following yr & got my youngest in pre-k at same academy. Loved it! But montessori was a too open scheduled for ds w adhd. So when I moved out of state I entered them back into public this yr (different state, different experiences) because he needs more structure & schedules like traditional learning. So far so good. His teacher has been very willing to stay in toucb w me & already have him establisbed w the social counselor. If things start getting screwy up here ill pull hI'm back out & find a tradional teaching style private who is willing to work w his troubles & help him. But so far public school is working out good. My youngest is very flexible & has excelled in both the private montessori & public school so far. He is a teachers dream student! Older ds....not so much! Lol. But hoping we've found a school willing to help him adjust & become a better student in mass teaching setting. :)
Cmgmqmmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:26 PM
I went to private from K - 12, my husband went to public.
My kids go to private nursery school for 2s and 3s and then to public. My oldest is in 1st grade and my youngest son is in pre-k.
RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this
DH and I both went to public. Our kids are homeschooled.
NDADanceMom
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Public
PrimalMom
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:29 PM

We homeschool but if I was unable to for whatever reason they would go to the local schools here only because they seem to do so well. I drive by the schools and all throughout the year they have the kids outside doing stuff. I keep hearing that the area in general is great for raising kids (Alaska)

connie45
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Private. Parochial for our 2 girls.
kcangel63
by Ruby Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Dh and I went to public school. Our kids are all homeschooled.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)